Pakistan Match Fixing Allegations

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I guess even the completely non-cricketing types among us have heard about all this, but I'm just wondering what folks opinions are?...

Personally, I find outrageous and shameful in equal measure. I honestly hope, if found guilty, the players involved are given lifetime bans by the ICC. It might sound harsh, or it might sound like I'm just after a couple less decent bowlers in a side who compete with 'mine' - but I promise that's not it; I think, well, it's just not Cricket.

[ytv]AF7HbDmvTWo[/ytv]

That pretty much nails Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Asif, and of course Salman Butt (as the captain picking when to bowl which men); I find it particularly sad that Amir is involved, because he's shown amazing skill with the ball, and was already (at 18) looking like becoming one of the world's bowling legends. Surely any club on the planet (perhaps not in India) would gladly have had him as a pro? I find it staggering that anyone would risk prospects like that with such dodgy activity. (...And I was (looks unlikely now) quite looking forward to seeing him bowl in the 1st ODI which I'm due to head up to Chester-le-Street to watch with a couple of the lads)

Of course it's a different story for Kamran Akmal (their hapless Wicket-keeper) - he's alleged to be caught up with the dodgy betting scam too; but to be fair, having watched his work with the gloves he probably only had celebrity endorsements for butter, spectacles and body-armour as realistic options for real money making; but still (as above) shunning that to get involved with shady betting- it's just not Cricket.

A sad time for the sport globally I say...

//R

I find it a shame that this furore is going to mean that this last test gets remembered for the dodgy dealings rather than the fantastic partnership between Broad and Trott. I missed the entire partnership while on the golf course both days, but from the highlights it looked awesome.

Cheers,