1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint thickness question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 1animal1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Aug 1, 2008]
    I have been to the local Audi garage recently to try and claim for my roof rails which are starting to bubble.... they checked the depth which was a steady amount all the way around, except when they got to just above the rear quarter window (where it starts to drop to the rear pillar) when (near the bubbles) they discovered a patch about 2inch by 1.5inch that was thicker paint than the rest....they used this as the excuse that paintwork has been carried out....in my experiance an area of that size is a bit small if someone has done a paint job....

When checking paint depths do any of you find that this is normal? or is Audi right, paintwork MUST have been done

Thanks

Tim
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

[Aug 2, 2008]
    Can't really answer you question mate but go to Audi Chester (bit of a drive for you ! ), didn't even check my paint. They just approved it after a quick look ;)
  4. 1animal1

[Aug 2, 2008]
    they must have had a few in fella........ im gonna try a couple more local ones before i think obviously depending what the answer is to this question.... if this is normal then i have a case to go back with
  5. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Aug 8, 2008]
    Paint thickness can vary a lot over very small distances even on standard factory finishes, but in order to answer the question we need to know what sort of readings they were getting. For example, a range of say 90-120 microns would not be unusual on a modern car, but 90-200 microns would, and would suggest the addition of paint. Any idea what readings they were getting?
  6. 1animal1

[Aug 8, 2008]
    they said it was averaging 115 microns on roof and panel.....and anything over 150 microns...Audi won't touch as they assume extra paint....although the tiny area was 165microns, said that this makes it impossible to claim
  7. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

[Aug 8, 2008]
    Think they are talking b*llocks and just trying to wriggle out of the cost of the claim.
    I would take it to another Audi garage and see waht they say. - Audi resprayed my bonnet due to excessive swirls marks and several stone chips from new, I have no idea if Audi record this fact or not against their history of the car or not.

Richard
  8. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Aug 11, 2008]
    Hmm, 165 in a small zone in a larger area averaging 115 is inconclusive, and would require more investiagtion. 165 would be a rare figure on original Audi paint for sure, but it could have been a nib, or operator error, or something else. I would definitely get a second opinion. Where are you based?
  9. 1animal1

[Aug 12, 2008]
    In Sheffield Rich..... it was a very small area which baffled me, i forgot to ask him to check the other side of the car, but then again it may have been a nib.
  10. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Aug 15, 2008]
    Hmm, pretty central then - I would nip onto Detailing World and ask in the regional areas section if anyone local has a paint gauge and would be willing to check things out for you again. Bound to be someone nearby! :yes:
  11. 1animal1

[Aug 16, 2008]
    good suggestion Rich, will logon next week and wack a post up

thanks for your help on this

BTW....the jeffs acrylic kit i ordered the other week - absolutely spot on