Paint Thickness Gauge

EnzoS4

Reaction score
I cleaned my mates old astra with my G220 and it worked really well, someone else now wants their car done, but this one is a 2004 model and I've seen a lot of you pros using Paint Thickness Gauge. I am not going to start cleaning everyones car so can't justify buying one but concerned if this is OK to use the G220 on the new car.? just in case your intestest its an MX-5

I got the Menzerna set (RD3.02, 106FA, 85RD) and blue, orange and white pads from Polished Bliss, on the astra I just used the final finsh RD3.02 / white pad.

I'll get before and after photos but just after some advice if this will be OK with the G220, which Menzerna one to use on which pad. there are swirl marks.

oh and its only the body work iam doing, he clean the inside.

Mazda paint is extremely soft and thin; out of the polishes you've got, 85RD on a polishing pad is the safe limit (if you use the 106FA or RD3.02 you will likely end up with severe micromarring that will be a pig to remove). A better polish choice would actually be Menzerna Final Polish II, as the abrasives in it are more fragile and ideallt suited to moderate correction on soft paints. The paint gauge is essential for professionals; in cases such as yours, you should just limit what you try to achieve, rather than push the paint too hard with no idea of depth or removal rates, etc. :yes:

thanks for the info. I did the car saturday and after the various washes and claying the swirl marks were really noticable, a lite going over the boot just didn't make any impact, I tried the medium and still no removal, so just used the finial finish and did the whole car. looked good but close up, not good at all. mate picked the car up and was very impressed. he put the car in the garage and didn't want to drive it. I showed him the swirl marks and didn't seem to bothered. after 8hrs work it bothered me....

I think even on the distance you are away from me, next time you have an opening day showing machine work I will try and attend and will be looking forward to it, must be away to get rid of these swirl marks.

I'll post some pics later

try again, PC rebooted itself twice now...

anyway back to car cleaning

a few friends cars - Astra and MX5 and of course my S4 which I didn't take hardly any pics... (next time).. why clean friends cars, well they both help'd me, just sayng thanks... besides I like seeing the end results. maybe I should charge a little next time...

cleaning Astra (about 10hrs)
1 - hose down, P21 front and all seals
2 - foam wash, leave then hose foam off
3 - wheels and arches washed and treated
4 - engine bay cleaned
5 - wool mit washed then hose off
6 - clean door seals
7 - clay (med)
8 - machine with med cut
9 - machine with fine cut
10 - clean
11 - clean windows
12 - wax x 2 (swissvax)

Before
before_front.jpg

before_rear.jpg

After
finish_front.jpg

finish_rear_side.jpg

finish_bonnet.jpg

cleaning MX5 (about 8hrs)
4 - engine bay degreased, cleaned and treated 303
5 - wool mit wash hose off
6 - clean door seals
7 - clay (fine)
8 - machine with fine cut
9 - clean windows
10 - wax (swissvax)

Before
S1 before rear.JPG

After
S6  boot.JPG

S6  bonnet.JPG

S6 front.JPG

S6 front 2.JPG

some arty shots (notice the orange peal) didn't notice this until I say the pic.
S7 reflection.JPG

S7 reflection 2.JPG

S7 reflection 3.JPG

S7 reflection 4.JPG

now for my S4

cleaning S4 (about 8hrs) this is done at least once a month, except machine polish
4 - engine bay degreased, cleaned and treated 303
5 - wool mit wash hose off
6 - clean door seals
7 - clay (fine)
8 - machine with fine cut (only front and rear)
9 - polish wheels
10 - clean windows
11 - wax x 2 (swissvax)
12 - leather clean, heat seats and Treat (thanks PolishedBliss seen done on a Ferrari)
13 - clean and shampoo floor

Before
audi_2075.JPG

audi_before.JPG

After
audi_after.JPG

audi_2084.JPG

audi_2101.JPG

You've been busy then, nice one! Some lovely photos, but I'm not keen on the blurring effect. In all honesty, your unblurred shots are so good that I would leave things 'vanilla' in future. :yes: