1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint cleanser after claying is it necessary?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Dave-S3, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Member

Saturday is supposed to be nice, so im going to have a go at doing my own proper winter protection detail using my megs quick clay kit i bought a few weeks back and some of my other bits i have in the garage.

My plan was to:

Wash with autoglym shampoo and microfibre mitt and then microfibre towel dry.
    Clay using megs quick clay
    **pre wax cleanse with something like auto finesse tough prep to remove old layers of wax/sealant and any other dirt left behind
    quick polish up with some autoglym SRP
    finally seal using autoglym EGP

Having had the car a few months and not having time to do a full clay, i have polished and sealed the car a couple of times but the paint really needs a good clay.

My main question is would it be worth me using the pre wax cleanser after claying or is it not a necessary step since im going to polish using SRP aswell? I know the EGP forms a pretty tough barrier though, so would it be worth it to remove those old layers or will the clay do some of that work?

Thanks
  2. scotty76

scotty76 Active Member

3. Dave-S3

Dave-S3 Member

Nice one, i won't bother with any cleanser then, the clay and srp should do, ill do a write up afterwards too.