Paint bubbling/corrosion on edge of roof

Well the inspector at the bodyshop has approved the work and is submitting it to Audi this afternoon. He said at the moment because it's such a common problem Audi tend to have it approved over night! No paint depth gauge or anything..he just inspected the car, took down my details and took some photos of the damage.

They're phoning me next week to make an appointment..woop!

wonder how ill get on when i go on tues, i have two massive scratches on the same side as the bubbles..... not near enough to be related tho...gna wip off the trims at the weekend to have a look and see what the crack is there to build my case

I just phoned Audi watford who gave me some independant guys mobile number to inspect it on Weds, so i will find out probably few days after that as he has to send his report to Audi etc. Hopefully they give me a S3 for loan! Well i can dream!:arco:

Guys, do you have to dig around in the drainage channels to see the bubbling paint or is it visible normally? I had a look around mine just as a preventative measure but couldn't see anything, just wondered if it might be hidden by the plastic strip in there.

Thanks.

No mine is on the outside corner of the channel clearly visible. I'll get a photo a bit later if you like.

I've just got back from Southampton Audi where their warranty guy Tony took a look and said there would be no problems whatsoever getting Audi to fix it as it's such a common problem.

I need to get it down to their bodyshop to get the obligatory paint thickness test done and as long as that's ok then they'll get my claim submitted for Audi's approval, which sound like just a formailty.

Fingers crossed!

Can you let me know how you get on with southampton Audi regarding the warranty, standard of work etc... as i have 2 weeks off coming up and have spotted some bubbling on one of the channels and would like to get it sorted then.

cheers

Can you let me know how you get on with southampton Audi regarding the warranty, standard of work etc... as i have 2 weeks off coming up and have spotted some bubbling on one of the channels and would like to get it sorted then.

cheers

If you want to get it sorted during your time off you're best off getting the car down there sooner rather than later matey. At least once the claim is approved then you're free to get it booked in with the bodyshop at a time convenient to you.

Tony from Southampton Audi will take 2 seconds to say Yay or Nay and then tell you to go to their bodyshop (Testwood Bodyshop on the Calmore industrial estate in Totton) for their estimator to do a inspection. He'll fill out the paperwork and get the claim sent off to Audi. Apparently once your claim is approved then Southampton Audi take over the process again, I assume to sort out a courtsy car etc.

Will let you know how things go though.

If you want to get it sorted during your time off you're best off getting the car down there sooner rather than later matey. At least once the claim is approved then you're free to get it booked in with the bodyshop at a time convenient to you.

Tony from Southampton Audi will take 2 seconds to say Yay or Nay and then tell you to go to their bodyshop (Testwood Bodyshop on the Calmore industrial estate in Totton) for their estimator to do a inspection. He'll fill out the paperwork and get the claim sent off to Audi. Apparently once your claim is approved then Southampton Audi take over the process again, I assume to sort out a courtsy car etc.

Will let you know how things go though.

Cool Will try to get up there after work one day this week to hopefully get it done over my holiday.

Also would be interested in how your detailing works out after its done eg results for what sort of cost.

well what i said regarding Epsom Audi, forget it.... already taken it back due a large scratch that appeared on the front wing, they mopped it out ok but then noticed the passenger seat belt doesnt retract because the height adjustment button is jammed down due to them refitting the trim, the drainage beading doesnt now fit in the roof channel properly, there is serious shadowing where they flashed over the rear quater and finally theres numerous scratching over the car where they have cleaned it....... so im :aggressive: at the moment, my car has come out in a worse state than it went in.... I will say though the customer care was good and they have said to bring it back in for them to look at but in doing so its more time i have to take off work.... the corrosion saga continues!...

well what i said regarding Epsom Audi, forget it.... already taken it back due a large scratch that appeared on the front wing, they mopped it out ok but then noticed the passenger seat belt doesnt retract because the height adjustment button is jammed down due to them refitting the trim, the drainage beading doesnt now fit in the roof channel properly, there is serious shadowing where they flashed over the rear quater and finally theres numerous scratching over the car where they have cleaned it....... so im :aggressive: at the moment, my car has come out in a worse state than it went in.... I will say though the customer care was good and they have said to bring it back in for them to look at but in doing so its more time i have to take off work.... the corrosion saga continues!...

Thats harsh, sorry to hear that, hope the audi approved sprayer in cornwall does a better job on mine, im sure they will sort it untill its right, its jus a pain being without your car for so long tho eh?

just reading through this post an noticed mine has the same problem. i bought it second hand and its a 1999. just curious how much warranty the anti corrosion carry?

also does thsi only apply if the car has full service history?

Dont need to worry about a FSH, if your cars a '99', your well with in the anti corrosion warranty ( 12 years ), as long as your car hasn't bin repaired at some point, or tampered with, you should be alright !

my claim was knocked back............ walked the guy around the car, the two spots on the rear plate overhang are not covered as its classed as 'trim' which is only covered until the car is 3 years old apparently!!! and two spots on the side panels where he said he has never seen a valid claim as its not near a joint and mine seemed to have chips that assumed stone chipped before it bubbled (they are only 2mm though).......... found out though that if it had been the roof edge then it would be a valid claim as its a joint edge...dunno if we know this already

Had mine done 3 weeks ago but Dealer also put dents in roof, refitted trim worng and scratched bumper so has litterally taken 3 weeks! Now my radio doesnt work!

Had mine done 3 weeks ago but Dealer also put dents in roof, refitted trim worng and scratched bumper so has litterally taken 3 weeks! Now my radio doesnt work!

feeling that mate, im taking mine back tomorrow to get countless new scratches taken out and to get the trim refitted correctly.... i guess its because its under warranty, if they were getting paid through an insurance claim i sure they would have done a better job...

just had my checked out by audi south west in newton abbot. they said that its a huge common problem for them and even the woman who took the pictures said her car had the same problem and she had to go on a course to deal with this.

she said that audi had used a defective seal on the roof panel were it meets the side panels and over years the water seaps in and thus causes the paint bubbling. there gonna put my claim forward and will report back when they no doubt knock it back.

Just had the guy look at mine today, sounded like it should get approved by Audi hopefully but they might would to do a paint test. If they take it in im gonna make sure everything is fitted back and nothing else is disturbed:o.k:

got my car back yesterday and its now spot on, all the problems sorted and the car is now looking great.....:rockwoot:

The car originally had warranty work identified on the roof rails where seems to be going on all A3/S3's. It was barely noticeable on mine but they did the repair and respray anyway. When I went to pick it up first time, the paint job was poor - basically straight out the gun. Also the roof rails were poorly fitted and they had put dents in the roof. So they fixed that. Went back second time and they had put a big scracth in rear bumper. So they reprayed that. Then this week lost radio signal. Audi tells me today that the bodyshop is likely to have cut through the cable as the fault code coming back is "Open Circuit" so back to them for repair!

just had a call from audi today. turns out there going to repair and respray it. cooooool.
gonna see if they will blow in a few scratches too an maybe pay for the bonnet painting.
will post back when they fuuuk it right up.lol.

on the plus sign tho ive got a A4 2.0 TDI Courtesy car for the week and there gonna spray the side panels in too were theres a deep scratch..coool

I enquired about getting my front bumper sprayed at the same time as it's covered in stone chips and they want £150+VAT. I know that bodyshops used to be quite happy to do extra bodywork a bit cheaper when they had to make a whole pot pf paint up to do a job, but is this no longer the case with the newer water-based paints? Does anyone think that sound £175 sounds like a reasonable price or should I tell them to take a running jump? I think it sounds expensive but I've not paid for bodywork for a long time so not sure what the going rate is.

I'm still waiting for Audi to call me back with a response to my claim. Think I'll give them a call tomorrow as it's been a week now

Andy

just had a call from audi today. turns out there going to repair and respray it. cooooool.
gonna see if they will blow in a few scratches too an maybe pay for the bonnet painting.
will post back when they fuuuk it right up.lol.

on the plus sign tho ive got a A4 2.0 TDI Courtesy car for the week and there gonna spray the side panels in too were theres a deep scratch..coool

Ah that's good news. I'm off to Audi Exeter on Tuesday to try and get mine approved, if they say no I'll be taking a trip down to Newton!

Ah that's good news. I'm off to Audi Exeter on Tuesday to try and get mine approved, if they say no I'll be taking a trip down to Newton!

yeah i would m8. my cars in marsh barton approved body repair as we speak. its on marsh green road and there the only approved repair centre arround torquay. turn out then when i dropped mine off today, the guy who worked there had his sisters black A3 outside for the same problem. they made a nice job of respraying it too.

Andy 150 gbp sounds ok to paint the bumper and its done by Audi, i would get it done.

Ok cheers matey I'll have to check the bank balance then. It would be nice to have the car completely up to scratch ready for when it's detailed.

I chased up Testwood bodyshop this morning and the claim has been approved and she's booked in for next Tuesday. :rock:

For those of you who've had the roof rails done, how long did it take? If it's not finished by next Friday then Alex doesn't have another free slot to do the detail until the middle of May!

Ok cheers matey I'll have to check the bank balance then. It would be nice to have the car completely up to scratch ready for when it's detailed.

I chased up Testwood bodyshop this morning and the claim has been approved and she's booked in for next Tuesday. :rock:

For those of you who've had the roof rails done, how long did it take? If it's not finished by next Friday then Alex doesn't have another free slot to do the detail until the middle of May!

minus the fact ive had to take mine back 3 times the initial work took 4 days.....

Well i went to Southampton Audi today and Tony told me to go straight to Testwood Repair Centre.

So have just got back from there. The guy acknowledged the bubbling on the roof rail and said they would get the claim sent off to Audi 2 moro so i should hear back from them in a couple o days.

Themanthatcan : As your S3 is black too perhaps we can get them to do both of ours with lots o paint cos i wouldn't mind my bonnet front bumper n rear bumper done too (sod it they can spray the whole car!!)

Themanthatcan : As your S3 is black too perhaps we can get them to do both of ours with lots o paint cos i wouldn't mind my bonnet front bumper n rear bumper done too (sod it they can spray the whole car!!)

You can certainly ask them but the receptionist taking the booking said they're very busy at the moment so you may struggle to get your car in at the same time as mine.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to be getting the front bumper done yet. I've got a rattle coming from what sounds like the exhaust which I need to get checked out when it's in the Audi workshop on Friday. If it turns out I need a new exhaust then I'll be going the stainless route and won't have any spare money in the kitty for the bumper respray.

My car still at Audi for rectification work. Apprently the approved bodyshop damaged the aerial amp (leant on it) which has now been replaced but the interior trim has stress fractures in it too. Granted it wasnt the Audi dealership who are now fixing the bodyshops errors but the car was sent to the 'Audi approved bodyshop' by Audi in the first place (i.e. subcontracted the work out). I am incredibly frustrated with the whole thing. Wish I'd never bothered in the first place.

just got my car back this evening and the paint job looks wicked. all the scratches on the door tops have gone too. unfortunatly they ballsed putting back in the roof gully trims and they was slanted. ive sent it back for sorting and should get it back again tomo. geez audi, whats going on.

Mines booked in for Monday, took it in last week and someone had a quick look (not the paint guy), he rang today to say Audi authorised it without wanting to do a proper inspection, result :)

Im still waiting had the intial inspection, im waiting for Audi to do the paint test, hopefully they will just skip it and let me book it in!

Glad people are getting theirs sorted without any arguement from Audi.

Mine isn't going in for the paint work until next Tuesday now. Had to reschedule as the car went in to Audi for an hours work in the workshop last Friday and it won't be finished until tomorrow!

i tried to get my lower doors sorted, but they got the old paint gauge out and tried to claim there is no point but now thanks to this post I've found the gutters are going as well!
I'm not sure weather i should try another Audi garage, because the Peterborough one is pure *****!

I took mine to a dealer today as I also have rust on the roof and they tried telling me it is only an 8 year corrosion warranty, am I not right in thinking its a 12 year warranty???

They then tried telling me they "THINK" my car is an import but theres no evidence of this is the service history and I done a RAC car check which said it is not listed as being imported? Strange huh

I took mine to a dealer today as I also have rust on the roof and they tried telling me it is only an 8 year corrosion warranty, am I not right in thinking its a 12 year warranty???

They then tried telling me they "THINK" my car is an import but theres no evidence of this is the service history and I done a RAC car check which said it is not listed as being imported? Strange huh

its a 12yr anti corrosion warranty fella and my 2000 reg S3 is an import and i had no probs with mine even after telling them it was. The only problem i had was Epsom Audi were a bit lax on the quality of work probably due to them doing it under warranty and not making any money from it....

Ben what dealer are you using? I'm going to Hatfield Audi on Monday as I have bubbles on my roof rails, so fingers crossed

even if it's an import an Audi warranty will be world wide!! sounds like they just cant be *****, i'd go somewhere else because it sounds like they will do a sh!t job if they are making so many excuses. ;)

Its Guildford Audi, they did call me back the next day saying they have found my car on the system so it turns out its not an import. They do still insist that it is an 8 year warranty but are going to send my claim off to Audi anyway. I used them in the past for my S4 and was very happy with their service so hopefully it will all go smoothly from now on. I will keep everyone updated incase someone is also planning to use Guildford.