(P) Light contantly on? Faulty handbrake switch?

J

jonnycraig

Along with the constantly flashing heaterplug light (light out on the rear window brakelight), I now have the red (P) light on in the dash, is it the handbrake light?

Jonny:think:

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont get what you mean about it not coming on when its off?

If its on all the time then i'd imagine its a faulty switch or wiring.

Lol, :wacko:

Cheers for the reply, I mean that when I pull the handbrake on, no light appears in the dash to say its on. The (P) light just randomly appears and dissapears throughout the journey.

J

sounds like a switch or wiring problem then...

You sure its (P) and not (!), (!) generally indicates the fluid level.

If it IS the fluid level, dont just top it up. If its low it means its either leaking, or that the pads are very worn

Yeah, double checked definately a (P), fault is intermittent as well, car drives normally too, and all the pads are fine, brake fluid level is the only other thing I have to check.

On another Audi does a light come on with the handbrake up?

JC

Hi Jonnycraig,

The parking brake light should illuminate on any car when the brake is engaged.

As already has been suggested, if the light is intermittant, it would suggest a wiring fault or connection somewhere. I would start by checking both ends of the circuit first (connection at parking brake end and behind the instrument cluster).

Driving home along the motorway last night, noticed the (P) light was flickering on and off now and again, then came on solid for a while then off completely, so will try and replace the switch if I can figure out how to remove the centre trim by the handbrake.

Checks I did, brake fluid reservoir is actually too full (any suggestions) and is this bad?

Could probably do with new rear pads and discs to be perfectly honest, they are working but they are mega rusty eww!! lol

Jonny

:unsure:

Ours is too full too, common side effect from using a pressure bleeder and doesnt really matter too much. Just need to be careful when replaceing pads as pushing the pistons back will push fluid back up into the resovoir. Something to suck the excess fluid out the bottle would be useful.