Overheating Issue

Cage

Reaction score
Well after nearly 9 months of ownership, I have encountered my first mechanical issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I was driving around central london last night, when I started noticing my temperature guage raising above 90 degrees. I pulled over and checked the water level, which seem fine. I continued driving for a further few minutes when the temp guage starting moving quicker towards 120 degrees and the warning light came on.

Anyway, am right in assuming I have got water pump failure?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Sounds like it m8, classic symptoms.

Unless the Temp sensor has gone up the spout which is also quite common.

i had the same problem 3 weeks ago. It turned out to be the fuse on top of the battery. I had steam coming out the engine bay and 120 reading on the dash.

Check it out by turning on the Air Con, if it works and the fans start the you can eliminate a fuse problem.

see how you get on

Thanks MingBluS3, it definitely not the fuse, as fans come on as normal when A/C's on.

I definitely think it is the waterpump, as I checked the service history and it appears that Audi did not replace the water pump, when they done the cambelt change at 70K miles.

To do a quick check on the water pump. Start the engine and run it up to about 2000rpm.

Check that you can see a jet of water in the expansion bottle from the small hose attached to it..

[ QUOTE ]
how many miles has it done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Over 100K now.

HTC is spot on - check for the jet of water in the expansion tank - it will confirm water pump failure

For some reason unknown to man nor beast Audi decided to use a plastic impeler which has probably cracked

Might as well get your cam belt and changed at the same time as well -regardless mate - cheaper in the long run

Errrr....... nope! not water pump failure by checking for a jet of water... that happens on all vehicles, thats the system return to the header tank, and comes from a small hose going into the top of header tank / resevoir, what will happen is, that there will be liitle or no jet, due to the pump not circulating the coolant, If the flow is strong, then the impellor is circulating OK.

Just keeping it brief and trying to help

We're all in agreement here, 28v6 ERR....Yes