1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overhaul Rear Diff

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Bradderz_1988, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Right so since one of my wheel bearings has been replaced (again) and the noise is still present im leaning more towards the rear diff i get a faint 'wa wa wa' noise on light throttle at 3.5k @ motorway speeds and also in 4th gear im getting a 'vr vr vr vr' noise on throttle i checked the diff today by grabbing each drive shaft and moving them up/down and there is some movement in the diff as the flanges move a good couple of mm either way iirc and also get a humming/vrrrrrrr noise when going up or down inclines on motorways which only happens on bends but is very intermittent.

has anyone ever overhaul'd there rear diff with new bearings etc ??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Sep 16, 2013]
    bearings are not easy TBH
    I stripped mine to fit what I thought was a TQS Quaife....
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/86658-rear-suspension-rebuild-thread.html

post #15

the bearings are press fitted and the casings are made of cheese!! easy to remove but imagine they are a pig to fit

rear diff bearings need to be fitted to a certain tolerance for backlash IIRC
    sure you could do it with trial and error though

just re-read my post:

"you will need the exact diff code to match the bearings as there are two different RHS bearings and about 15 combinations of fitted washers! the wrong ones will see the diff too loose or too tight in the case when you refit it."
  4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Cheers for that wheres the Diff code located ??

Ive done plenty of gearbox repairs in my time and virtually do most of them at work although never really touched rear diffs ive done one front diff that was on a pug.

if the garage is big enough at the house were moving to i may look at getting a cheap runabout and take the TQS of the road and do some well needed jobs !!
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Sep 16, 2013]
    the idea with the shims is you fit it with either no shims or small shims, measure the play with a DTI, then select the correct shim to provide the perfect bearing preload.