Over sensitive key

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Morning 8Lers.

A friend of mine has a R 1.8T and he's got a bit of a overly sensitive key. I don't know much about the issue as I had a email from him last night.
This is what he says is wrong.

Chris said:
Sometimes when I remove the key from the ignition the electrics remain on! And when the engine is running, it only takes a light touch to the underside of the key fob to turn the engine off, such that if you go over a big bump, the ignition turns and the engine turns off

I'm thinking of just getting a ignition switch from a breaker (Pats3poa breaker), swapping the barrels over and plugging it in.
I've not seen how this is all put together or if its possible, so before I travel any way and start stripping it down, I thought I'd see you lot.

Any one got any ideas?

It could be the switch on the back of the barrel, I'd ask if there is a lot of movement with the key in the barrel

Pat

If like others I've come across you should be able to remove from the barrel

Pat

I've had a look and the key/barrel is not locking in to position 2.
It will go to position 2 but will jump out to position 1 with the smallest of touches.

Not sure if its the barrel at fault or the main unit where it locks in to position.
Just to be on the safe side I'm going to get everything off Pat (cheers mate) and replace the lot.
Hopefully. Give it a go and see what happens. lol

Any one got any guides or information on replacing locks and barrels?

I've had a look and the key/barrel is not locking in to position 2.
It will go to position 2 but will jump out to position 1 with the smallest of touches.

Not sure if its the barrel at fault or the main unit where it locks in to position.
Just to be on the safe side I'm going to get everything off Pat (cheers mate) and replace the lot.
Hopefully. Give it a go and see what happens. lol

Any one got any guides or information on replacing locks and barrels?

Surely pat can do one when he removes his?