Over center spring

jordankyle

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I just installed a B7 clutch with custom flywheel into my B5 A4 and I planned to replace the over center spring as well. I got my stock A4 one out but in attempts to install the beefier S4 spring, I couldn't. Any tips on installing? Or maybe an idea on how to remove the clip on the left holding the clutch pedal so I can slide it a bit for more room? I really don't want to have to remove the pedal assembly if there's another way.

i just fiddled with it for a while. eventually it went. Disconnect the clutch master cylinder from the pedal to get a bit more movement too.

Did you buy the matching blocks that hold the ends of the spring as well? Fit the blocks to the spring and slide it into place then you can move the pedal and spring around until they mate up. IIRC the S4 spring sits slightly differently to the A4 one, maybe upside down? i cant quite remember though! I had the advantage of removing the spring from an S4 so could see how it was all positioned.

I've tried fiddling with it. It's hard to compress even with zip ties. I have the green blocks heavy duty blocks needed. Can you take a picture to see how it's supposed to look?

you dont need to compress it with zip ties, its mostly about getting the pedal and spring in the right position relative to each other, hence i said to remove the master cylinder as that lets you move the pedal further.

I'll see if i can get a photo of mine, might take a few days though.

So I removed the pin holding the master cylinder and I can't for the life of me get it installed... Audi had the OEM spring above the master and I couldn't get the blocks in. So I flipped it (master cylinder running through the spring) and I was able to get the blocks in but I couldn't get the pedal to hook to the spring. I also removed the pin holding the master for more room. As I tried to depress the pedal, it would press against the spring thus rotating the notch away from the plastic hook.

I found a picture online of someone replacing the entire assembly. And you can see the spring is above the master, notch facing downwards. And below that picture is the spring in the other direction. I'm sure whichever direction works but I can't figure it out...

Attachments

• IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 493
The blocks only fit one way round, but you can swap them around on the spring itself.

I dont think the spring coils should be down low rubbing against the master cylinder bellows like that.

You might need to remove the clutch switch to get the pedal raised high enough to get it to clip in.

It should be like the first picture right? The spring compressing upwards? If I do it that way, I can't get the blocks into where they need to be. I loosened the clutch switch a bit for more room but I'll try removing it completely

like i say, the blocks only go in one way up. The slot they slide on is thick at one end and thin at the other.

So if they wont go in, take them off the spring, flip the spring over, and refit them to the spring.

So I finally got it aragorn. Thanks for your help. When i finally disconnected the master, it didn't occur to me to put the blocks, press the pedal, slide the notch in. Duh! I had trouble getting the notch in but I hooked up a zip tie for something to pull on since my carpet wasn't giving me enough play and locked it into place. Thanks again aragorn. It was frustrating but I'm glad I got it installed finally