1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outside temperature gauge reading 5 degrees too low?!?

gdbarratt Dec 3, 2012

1. gdbarratt

gdbarratt A3 Sportback 2.0 T FSi

The outside temperature gauge has suddenly started reading exactly 5 degrees to low, anyone got any ideas?
    It moves up and down as the weather changes but always around 5 degrees out.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Moderator VCDS Map User

Did you resolve this issue? Mine has suddenly started reading too high. It's was showing 36.5 degrees this morning!

3. gdbarratt

No its going in to Crewe Audi for service next week and its on their to do list. I will let you know if they give me an answer.

4. Artimus

Artimus Shortback

that's only 2.5oC, about right for snow melt.

5. Staz

Cool, if you can find out which sensor it is then it would be much appreciated.

No mate, 36.5 degrees C!

6. Staz

7. gdbarratt

My car is back from its service and they replaced the temparature sensor for £49 including parts labour and vat, all working fine now

8. Staz

That's not too bad, any idea which sensor?

I plan to have a proper look on Saturday.

9. gdbarratt

The car was brought back without the service paperwork which they are posting to me, when it arrives Ill post part number replaced.

10. gdbarratt

Got the bill, they changed the Outside Temp Sender (A8Z0 820 535) cost £17.95 for the part and they charged me 18mins labour to change so must be an easy job.

11. Staz

Right I think this is the temp sensor, near-side and behind the grille:

[​IMG]

is that right anyone?

If it is it's a defo bumper off job!

12. gdbarratt

As they charged just 18mins at garage I doubt the bumper has to come off, must be a simple unplug and replace.

13. Staz

That's why I'm confused. A Google image search for outside temp sensor brings up sensors that look like mine above but there's no way I can get to that sensor without taking the bumper off. I know it's in slightly different places for different models but I want to be sure before I start taking the front end off!

14. JamesS4cab

JamesS4cab Well-Known Member

I think the A3 is in the wheel arch so wheel off and change, whereas the S3 is behind the grill - hence the bumper off!

Staz - Did you ever get this sorted? Was it bumper off?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. Staz

Although I have replied to your PM James, I will reply here also for others to see.

I hadn't got around to sorting this issue but it seems to have fixed itself now the summer is here.

It's definitely the right sensor though and you'd need to take the bumper off to get to it.

JamesS4cab likes this.
  16. JamesS4cab

JamesS4cab Well-Known Member

Thanks matey - i took a quick look last night and tried to contort my arm to get in from underneath etc but for the sake of my blood and skin, I will just remove the bumper.