Out of interest why does the bmw 320i blow coil packs?

G

_G_

The neighbour asked for a lift this morning... engine management light on her 320i (2006). Coil packs went at 20k and then 44k.. second time they went out of warranty so replaced at cost of £450... why would any manufacturer make an engine that blows coil packs so often?

Touch wood my 2.0 TFSI coil packs never gave me any problems but I chose to replace them for preventative maintenance.

She should get rid of it really...

They suffer with injectors, plugs and coils on BMW. There is a technical bulletin to replace all 3 on each cylinder

Is it not the same with the B6 & coil packs, the oil pump & injectors on the B7. All manufactures have problems, and a lot appear to come from third party suppliers.

They suffer with injectors, plugs and coils on BMW. There is a technical bulletin to replace all 3 on each cylinder

Technical bulletin is now revised as the confirmed fault is coil packs.

Bosch have revised the coil packs they use twice now, heat is the main issue. Delphi have now been thrown into the mix and the new Technical bulletin is to replace the latest revised Bosch coils with Delphi Coils :icon_thumright:

Thanks.. I looked down where the coil pack goes and there is a slight curve so I thought that would have caused a strain on the coil pack. She got stiffed by the dealer, apparently BMW only replace the faulty coil pack and not all 4 so many people blew the other 3 due to a voltage spike caused by the faulty one. Good to know its solved... yeh I want to laugh at her for buying a rubbish car but she a good lady... does a lot work with kids with learning disabilities, always volunteering... so I thought... I'd try find out what I could for her as there are not enough good people like her. Will tell her about Delphi. Cheers.

A lot manufacturers seem to turn to Bosch for solutions but they don't always get it right first time around.

Bosch /Worcester boilers are rubbish as well having a tendency to leak under a year old.