1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orange coil light

Djwoody Jul 20, 2012

1. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

Hi.
    This morning I have an Orange flashing light on my dash which looks like a coil.
    Could someone advise me what this is? Is it the DPF light?
    My car is a 2008 A3 2.0 TDI 170.

Thanks

2. sachen

sachen Member

Hi mate,

Had this come on in my car a month or so back. The light is a actually the glow plug light.

Do you have any symptoms or did the light just come on randomly?

3. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

The light just came on randomly on the way to work this morning, car seems to be acting fine (at the moment!).

4. sachen

sachen Member

It might be just your glow plugs are on the way out. My car cut out on me whilst driving (cacked myself) and this is when my coil light came on. Plugged it into VCDS and found out my Engine Speed Sensor had gone so got that changed.

Best bet is to scan it..

5. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

Think i'll get it scanned but I might also get some glow plugs to be on the safe side.
    How much are they? Also, are there any 'uprated' ones or should I just go for OEM?

6. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

Oem glow plugs are fine for your car, they come in about £20 each from Audi (£10 from TPS with discount)

7. SAiLO

SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Was the coil light flashing when you were driving?
    Scan the car with VCDS.
    It does not have to indicate a problem with glow plugs, can be something totally different.

8. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

Yes it was flashing while driving, just after I set off.

9. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

Does anyone know a reputable person in the north-east near Middlesbrough with VCDS?

10. sachen

sachen Member