Optional extras

Indestructable

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a A3 1.9 TDIe and there seems to be a fair amount of optional extras to choose from. Any tips on any good ones to take up or those that are a waste of money?
Cheers
;)

my car has almost every extra for the year anyhow i think options i think are a must are
xenons
leather
interior light pack
rnse
heated seats
multifunction steering wheel
blue tooth
and maybe bose but you could fit your own ice
dont get privacy glass get it done your self just my opinion...

there are more that you can have but to feel pretty good with your self id get the above you will be happy with the setup

I've just ordered a new 2.0TDI SE Sportback and added some £4620 worth of extras...

The list is:
Metallic paint
17x7.5J 16-spoke alloys and 225/45 tyres
Concert radio
iPod connection in glovebox
Electric drivers seat controls plus lumbar support
Acounstic parking system - rear
External door mirrors - electrically folding
Light and rain sensor pack including auto dimming mirrors
Cruise control
Interior lighting pack
Luggage pack
Non-smoking pack
Storage pack
Through-load system
Adaptive Xenon Headlights.

I have all these on my existing Sportback and personally I would not want to be without any of them - hence they have been added to my new one.

rnse is good but dont get it as an extra.

just spec the standard double din stereo the retro fit the rnse when you get the car..save you loads of money

BOSE
Front Centre Armrest

Cruise Control. Nice if you are going to be doing long motorway miles - I dont have it and dont do many motorway journeys but wish I had it everytime I do!

Stuff like autolights and wipers are probably nice but are you really not capable of being able to think for yourself when its time to flick the wiper stalk up/turn the headlight dial round when its raining and/or gone dark... its not something I ever find myself thinking I wish I had anyway.

I've got the ipod connection but its a waste of money, stay clear.

Also spec the light/rain sensor pack with folding/dimming mirrors mate, for £400 its definitely worth the money cause to do aftermarket is hell of alot & also I wouldnt live without the dimming mirrors rear & sides, xenons are also a must, wont have car without, others are down to you as some are retro afterwards cheaper tbh, but cheaper options I'd just get audi to do mate, rns etc do yourself.

Auto lights for sure - not so much for the lights (never use them myself, do use the auto wipers tho), but for the auto dimming mirrors.

Cruise if you do a lot of motorway driving at quiet times.

Others are less important IMO.

You got to have xenons and leather imo.

Arm rest is a must as well.

i would also like heated seats. That would do me tbh :D

With a diesel - i think a DSG is a must :D

I don't like the armrest - mine spends all its time folded up.

Thanks for all your responses, although I might have to organise a whip round to get all the extras recommended.;)
Interesting reading though, cheers.
:racer:

If I was speccing one from new I'd want cruise, armrest, heated seats at least...oh and some decent wheels :thumbsup:

I hardly ever use the "opensky" wotsit so I doubt I'd bother having it again, parking sensors are a bit 'meh' because the car is hardly big, RNS is nice but far cheaper to do afterwards :beee:

Upgrade to the Sport trim at least anyway that gives you lots of stuff, Normally the Sport costs £1175 but Audi are given it away free at the moment on the 1.9TDIe.

This Gives you
Dual Cliamte Control
Arm Rest
Better CD Player with Active Speakers (Concert)
Fog Lights
Nicer Looking Alloys 17" Alloys
Sports Seats
DIS
Lower Suspension
Rear Sun Blind

On Top of the Sport pack i added
Folding Mirrors
I Pod Link
Light Pack
Sotorage Pack

And Once i get it i will be retro Fitting the following as its cheaper:
Sat Nav (RNSE)
Cruise Control
and Xenon HID's

I don't like the armrest - mine spends all its time folded up.

I agree. Mine is only used to store my TomTom out of sight. I comes as standard on the SE otherwise I would not have one.

Upgrade to the Sport trim at least anyway that gives you lots of stuff, Normally the Sport costs £1175 but Audi are given it away free at the moment on the 1.9TDIe.

This Gives you
Dual Cliamte Control
Arm Rest
Better CD Player with Active Speakers (Concert)
Fog Lights
Nicer Looking Alloys 17" Alloys
Sports Seats
DIS
Lower Suspension
Rear Sun Blind

On Top of the Sport pack i added
Folding Mirrors
I Pod Link
Light Pack
Sotorage Pack

And Once i get it i will be retro Fitting the following as its cheaper:
Sat Nav (RNSE)
Cruise Control
and Xenon HID's

Personally I would add xenons as a facory fit as it wont be cheaper to fit them properly once you factor in the new headlamp units, ballast and washer system. Unless your just going to fit a HID kit which would be a shame on a new car.

Personally I would add xenons as a facory fit as it wont be cheaper to fit them properly once you factor in the new headlamp units, ballast and washer system. Unless your just going to fit a HID kit which would be a shame on a new car.

The Problem with Xenons is that on the Sport model they are £980 quid as they come with the adaptive conering lights, If i could have just had the normal Xenons it would have been fine. I have conering anc Xenons on my current car and the cornering lights are awful, they make the Mrs Feel a little sea sick too.

I cant say enough praise about the adaptives since I installed, they're great for back roads & turns etc, I would be worried if it makes her sick whilst driving mate, not being funny, being serious, but does she wear glasses, maybe her eyes are playing up, something worth checking as I get similar issues at night tbh sometimes, even before I fitted the adaptives, its down to the eyes/neck not the lights, eye muscles etc as I suffer from bad neck & the muscles seem to effect above my eyes alot.

Rear parking sensors for me.
Purely because the only thing that is worse than an A3 when it comes to rear view is a van with no back windows!

Rear parking sensors for me.
Purely because the only thing that is worse than an A3 when it comes to rear view is a van with no back windows!

I can't agree more, whenever i reverse, I think i'm so close to the lamp post, but when I get out and have a look, there is so much space left!:scared2:

I can't agree more, whenever i reverse, I think i'm so close to the lamp post, but when I get out and have a look, there is so much space left!:scared2:
lol, done that many times!
Thing is, I still don't have total faith in the sensors yet.
At the point that the beeps become one long beeeeeep, looking out of the back window it looks like I've already mounted the bonnet of the car behind, Big Foot stylee!!
The stress that I feel when reversing and listening to those beeps can only be likened to that of a bomb deactivator. I expect a bang at any moment!

I'm still learning to trust them, but I'm getting there :unsure:

I cant say enough praise about the adaptives since I installed, they're great for back roads & turns etc, I would be worried if it makes her sick whilst driving mate, not being funny, being serious, but does she wear glasses, maybe her eyes are playing up, something worth checking as I get similar issues at night tbh sometimes, even before I fitted the adaptives, its down to the eyes/neck not the lights, eye muscles etc as I suffer from bad neck & the muscles seem to effect above my eyes alot.

No shes fine dosent wear specs, i think its the sensation as she fine in the other cars, Maybe its becuase of how i drive. Shes not the best passenger in the world and finds it better driving, but shes not allowed to touch my cars lol.

I think what she does is focus on the light beam and thats when it gets her.

If i could have had the option that they do on the S Line then i would have got it without a doubt.

I've just ordered a new 2.0TDI SE Sportback and added some £4620 worth of extras...

So it's now costing you £25k?

It's your money but personally I think it's ridiculous to spend near enough £5k on options on a £20k car...

Typical Audi though... specs are bare and options add up to ALOT! You are getting on for S3 money there.

It's your money but personally I think it's ridiculous to spend near enough £5k on options on a £20k car...

Typical Audi though... specs are bare and options add up to ALOT! You are getting on for S3 money there.

huh, you'd be hard pushed to buy an Audi and not end up spending £3k on extras, so £5k is hardly ridiculous!

People like the creature comforts, and barring 1 or 2 on the list, I wouldn't want to live without them either.

must be something wrong with your sensors i wait till the tone is constant and im close to the car behind they work great .... do you take drugs lol only joking

lol, done that many times!
Thing is, I still don't have total faith in the sensors yet.
At the point that the beeps become one long beeeeeep, looking out of the back window it looks like I've already mounted the bonnet of the car behind, Big Foot stylee!!
The stress that I feel when reversing and listening to those beeps can only be likened to that of a bomb deactivator. I expect a bang at any moment!

I'm still learning to trust them, but I'm getting there :unsure:

huh, you'd be hard pushed to buy an Audi and not end up spending £3k on extras, so £5k is hardly ridiculous!

Thats what annoyed me when we part exed our car you find that all the extras make no difference to the value of the car. The only two that make any difference to the dealers are metallic paint and Bose. The rest add no value but help it sell quicker.

It actually only costing £22k when you take the discount into account.

It may be a lot on options but that's exactly what they are - Options and at least I have the choice. This way I am getting exactly what I want, rather than what some marketing chap thinks I want. Better than Audi including everything in the basic spec and charging £25k for the car in the first place.

As for getting close to a S3 price most of the options I want would be options on an S3 as well and an S3 is the last car I would want! If that was all the Audi could offer I would be looking elsewhere.

id rather pay extra to get the extras rather than some basic shyt your not happy with with some clik clak speakers no cruise control no sat nav ...i want to get in a car i pay 20 g plus for and say ****, thats what im talking about,,,, not pull up to other audis and go wish i got that wish i got this its probly the best part of getting the car all the luxury thats thrown in you wana feel good about your motor id rather pay the extra 50 a month to have that

must be something wrong with your sensors i wait till the tone is constant and im close to the car behind they work great .... do you take drugs lol only joking

No, mine do work great too. When the beep goes constant it just looks like I am on top of the car behind, but in reality i've still got a foot to go.
Duh! lol