Optimum Tyre pressures

jesters3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon,

Had a thought over the weekend, what is the best pressure for the S3 225/45 R17 tyres? Currenlty I have Toyo Proxes T1's on all 4 corners. The back are at 32 and the fronts are at 34. Now they say 34 is the better for the 'heavier' road use. But I have noticed that when the tyres are hotter the pressure goes up 2 or so. As a result the back tyres sit nicely on the road, while the front seem quite light and skatey on the turn in.

So I have lowered all to 32 and it sits nicely though the ride is slightly compromised. When they are all 34, the ride seems good but the steering is light.

I'm not after speed more traction, I would guess the lower psi would be better or would they....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Your views would be welcome

The Audi spec says 32 all round for the Avus wheels on the S3.

I've also tried 34F:32R, but I didn't like it. Seemed a bit hard over bumps and ruts. I've noticed the approx 2 psi increase too when warm.

So I've got mine set to 33F:32R at the moment. Performed great in the dry on Saturday. I guess when warm they were probably at 35F:34R approx.

AL

Hi just to let those who are interested know that i run toyo's on standard S3 wheels at 32 psi front and 36 psi rear and drive it quite hard but front feels a little soft so might try 34 psi front for a change. ps,geometry checked recently and is dead right spot on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Bingo,

Welcome to the site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

What are you trying to achieve by having more pressure in the rear tyres?

AL

Hmmm, interesting. Going to try the 33 psi all round this time and see how that feels, with the hotter weather coming it will be intriguing. The 34, 32 seems okay but as you say it is hard over the ruts of the english roads.

And the correct pressures for 19" wheels on Proxes?

TT settings for 18rs4 225/40 35-36 on the front and 30-32 on the back (higher brackets for addditional weight).

See:-

But note the fully loaded figures are the wrong way round!

I finally got my hellfords auto tyre guage out the shed and reset my tyre pressure. And Jesusssssssss
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Running 35 upfront and 32 rear (hellfords equipment isn;t that accurate...) made such a difference. I read somewhere that GS3 F1 were very sensitive to tyre pressure but the difference is unreal.

I used to switch out the ESP for high speed motorway juantes. But the new level of grip, cured vagueness of the steering has blown me away.

Finally the car handles like it'd expect.

Think I might have had 30 all round previously. Definitely the best cost free mod around! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I have got Toyo Proxe TS-1's 225/45/17 and I have always ran 32psi all round. Feels pucker to me and the S3 was handling a dream at Buxton last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Strangely the S2000 has 32psi all round too, easy to remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Audi Spec for S3 with RSTT's as standard is 36PSi all round for the lighter load rating.

IIRC thats 3 people and some luggage.

I run mine at 36 all round.

OK,, I finally found it.. the definitive guide on the effect of tire pressures on tyre performance.
See the attached from Toyo Japan..( I have some trampio R888's for the track)
I know the pressure recomendations are for specific tyres so we can ignore them without comment, but the other statements are generally true I feel.
I love the japanese way of presenting things

I have the full documents available if someone is interested in modifying them for display.
unfortuneately they are in XL format and therfore need to be uploaded into pshop or similar and converted. let me know and I can email them if someone wants to do it.