Optimax

RobinW

Reaction score
Waiting till my S3 turns up (just missed one at the auction this morning) and wondered does Optimax make any difference (except to Quentins 'doing the ads for it' bank account) ?

Rob

have never run mine on anything else so I'm not sure

My TT ran on Texaco Super for a little while before I discovered Optimax. Immediately the car sounded like it was running smoother. I had a slight increase in power but it was the smoothness that worked for me and the slight increase in MPG.

Using Optimax also enabled me to run the 1.44bar APR chip so it was definately worth it.

I would imagine my car would probably not run as well if I switched to UL now its been chipped

Good, but it uses an additive that is released if stood for over 2 weeks.

Therefore you may not get any benefit from it.

BP far better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

After reading a few articles it does seem to do more good than anything else plus at only 83.9p , bargain compared to the BP stuff at 89.9p which has a lower octane value than Optimax.

Also it does feel more responsive than on normal UL. Been using Optimax for best part of 3 years and still will continue to do so.

I had to use 97 RON stuff as there was no Optimax 98 RON and my car was more thirsty - MPG was crap and performance suffered too.

The more expensive Optimax lasted longer, gave better mpg and performce on less fuel put in compared to standard super, higher fuel quantity.

Just to confirm - this is the official line from both BP and Shell regarding their premium Unleaded petrols:

BP:

Dear Mr Moffat

Thank you for your query received in this office regarding BP Ultimate fuel.

The RON (Research Octane Number) for BP Ultimate Unleaded is guaranteed 97. For Performance vehicles it is also helpful to know the MON (Motor Octane Number). This is where the Antiknock quality is tested at full throttle and High engine speed, and part throttle and low&high engine speeds. The MON for Ultimate Unleaded is guaranteed 86, however it is typically higher, upto 87.5.

BP Ultimate burns more efficiently and cleans your engine as you drive to deliver sharper acceleration and improved responsiveness while producing less harmful emissions. Compared with ordinary unleaded, the benefits of BP Ultimate come from the properties of both the base fuel and a number of other special components added to the formulation. However, don’t forget that BP Ultimate is the name for two new fuels - one diesel and one unleaded and the formulations for each are different.

Thank you for your interest in our new advanced fuels.

Yours Sincerely

BP Customer Care

And Shell:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.
We guarantee that the RON of Shell Optimax will be at least 98, typically it is refined as high as 98.6.
The MON is guaranteed to be a minimum of 86, but more typically 87.5.
I do hope this answers your question.
Kind regards,
Kathryn Atkinson
Fuel Quality Co-ordinator
Shell U.K. Oil Products Limited
Rowlandsway House, Rowlandsway, Manchester M22 5SB, United Kingdom

So... Optimax IMO, is the better fuel. Cheaper, a higher RON and probably the same level of MON.

I for one noticed better performance and better fuel consumption when I changed from normal unleaded to Optimax in the S3.

I used BP and optimax, engine sounds better on optimax, So for the last 11k Ive used optimax only, seems much better.