optics grill

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
hi im thinking of getting an optics grill but first im gona try spray my chrome one black myself if i do a good job it saves me alot ov doe ...does anyone no how to remove the grill do i need to remove the bumper etc... hope you can help thanks guys:thumbsup:

DSC00098.jpg
did this myself 3 weeks ago with my son took us 15 mins the guide shown in previous thread is usefull but once you have broken off the 3 plastic bolts its a cruise mate,it helps if the second person holds the bumper whilst you pull at the grill once you have popped the first few plastic tangs you will see how easy it is no way do you have to remove the bumper ,although i maybe found it easier on a 4 post lift.:hubbahubba:

Lovely! Is that an OEM optic grill or a sprayed one?

Im saying thats sprayed, looks great though..

The real black optics one, is the outer grill gloss black and the centre mesh part matt?

yeah it is sprayed i was speaking to him ive just popped off my chrome and glossed it i may leave my grill grey cos my car is lava grey if not i may satin black it cos when i get my wheels there gona be satin black to either way its cheaper than forking out for oem ...

Im saying thats sprayed, looks great though..

The real black optics one, is the outer grill gloss black and the centre mesh part matt?

Exactly mate, ill be doing the same shortly!

Gloss on the outside, matt/satin on the inside looks better than all gloss imo, never the less, big improvement..

I think that looks better on the rs6, because the mesh is different...

Looks great to me! :yes:
I'm thinking about glossing the grey mesh section of my grill.
Tommy, did you remove the Audi Rings from the grill before spraying?

I havent done it fella, but yeah id remove the rings, saves maskin up, also look a lot neater if you take them off..

Agreed, gloss black is the way to go - like the new RS6 grille. Maybe with a satin chrome surround even?

Can you re-use the rings once removed or do you need a new one?

Complete novice here but what do you need to do to paint the chrome frame? I love the satin silver look frames of RS cars.

take it all apart, wash the chrome, get all the dirt and **** off, wet and dry, id say start off at 1500 to get the chrome off, once thats off, go a litle higher, 2000 grit should be fine. once its off and its ncie and smooth, wash it again, let it dry, get the primer out, base coat, nothin too thick, wet and dry that, another coat of primer, wet that, if its lookin ok, get the paint out, give it a couple of coats, if need be, hit it with the 2000 to get rid of any imperfections, once your happy with the finish, hit it with the laqcure (sp).

Flat and polish after that..

Im no expert, so if someone who has better knowledge, please correct me :)

Tom

i didnt sand the chrome down to the plastic just ruffed it up with the sand paper the 2 coat of prima and 2 gloss mine looks fine i left the grill to suit the grey on the car look at the pics on my thread.....

Complete novice here but what do you need to do to paint the chrome frame? I love the satin silver look frames of RS cars.