1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on ecu flashing please :D

miniturhero Oct 11, 2013

1. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Hi everyone I was after some views and opinions on ecu flashing. I am not too sure exactly what it os and how its done but ive had a quick browse on youtube to see if theres anything on there and by what ive seen is it like a diy remap ? I am a bit skeptical on how you can just modify you ecu and be safe doing so if your not an expert but I could be wronge flashing may be something completely different. I would like a bit of knowledge on this if anyone has any on this subject or if anyone has tried this and results or if its something to stear well clear of . Cheers dudes :salute:

2. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Modern day remaps is basically ECU flashing, loads of us have done it, it rarely goes wrong!

3. beachbuggy

beachbuggy Well-Known Member

You're better off looking at a dedicated forum like nefmoto or chip tuners to learn how to do it.. Just saying

s3dave likes this.
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

^^as long as you get someone to do it who knows what they are doing. ...

5. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

If you dont have a clue what your doing, dont do it. It can be as simple or as involved as you choose to make it

6. craigynett

craigynett Member

i've seen people use cheap 20euro maps downloaded from the internet, flashed onto the ECU & then has been left with a car that wouldn't run properly.

I've even seen a Leon 1.8 20v non turbo with a cupra map on it

7. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Cheers for the replys , everyone has said what I thought which is its basically the same as a remap and stay well away from it leave it to people who know what there doing. I would like to learn how to do it or have a little more knowledge of it so I might try that forum that beachbuggy suggested. :thumbsup:

8. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

How in the hell would that work ? Surely that car was playing up somthing terrible! I am amazed that someone would do that as even my girlfriend would probably know that aint right haha

9. jimmcgee

jimmcgee Active Member

hope you like reading lol :readit: still taking it in after a year , and I thought I knew about ECU's in cars .

10. craigynett

craigynett Member

the lad had only bought the car a couple of weeks beforehand. He said he'd bought it like that. It didn't run too well at all & was seriously running on the rich side. It felt well under powered when i drove it so once it had been done with the correct remap file it felt like a completely different car.

I'm still not convinced he had bought it like that because it ran like **** & nobody in their right mind would buy it for full price with how it was. You'd only buy it if it was cheap & advertised as running poorly etc

11. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

I agree he must of just been very ashamed as I would of been if it were me but bet he was just glad to get his car back.

12. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Lol im not too keen on reading but if its somthing that im really interested in I am more than happy to read on lol any tips on what to reed ? How you finding it do you feel that you are abke to flash an ecu yet or not ?

13. craigynett

craigynett Member

he did seem a bit embarrassed. When i'd done i made a joke of saying it may have been the correct map in the 1st place & it was that his turbo had been stolen! :)

14. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Hahaha thats excellent! ! I would have had to laugh if I was there !

15. jimmcgee

jimmcgee Active Member

still looking for a spare ecu to muck about with , just not bit the bullet and bought one lol , and no chance am I using my own one lol ,

16. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Nothing wrong with experimenting, thats how they all start, as long as you are prepared for any consequences...imo of course

17. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Haha thats what I was thinking , learn and read as mich as possible then buy a spare ecu and fingers crossed lol

18. miniturhero

miniturhero Member

Cheers mate your right I suppose if you dont try you dont know well im going to get revising and see what I can learn

s3dave likes this.