1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions on a3 8p Quattro vs A4 B7 Quattro - no takers on 8P section...

phil_w Nov 15, 2012

1. phil_w

phil_w Active Member VCDS Map User Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Team Brill Red

Nobody chipped in on the A3 forum so I thought I'd give it a final go here before I shut up :)

I'm considering downsizing the B7 avant to a Sportback 170 CR Quattro - now the Quattro Avant is unstoppable in winter and being pretty rural where we are that's a lifesaver in the silly snow. I'm interested in anyone who can make a direct comparison between that and the A3's version of the Quattro system - would we notice a difference and would an A3 be just as unstoppable? Any info great fully received :)

Cheers

2. Joe_Murphy21187

Joe_Murphy21187 S-Tronic

The A3 quattro system is different to the A4. A4 is known as torsen (I think), which a permanent torque based 4wd system, whereas the A3 uses an electronic system known as haldex. Works using some kind of electronic diff to send power to between the front and rear wheels. Not driven the A3 but I think the A3 is regarded as having a less 'true' 4wd system to the A4. Don't know how they actually compare when in use on the road (or in the snow) though...

3. spider74

spider74 Member

During the really bad snow two years ago i had a MK1 TT which had the Haldex 4WD and also had my B7 Quattro. I can honestly say that they were both brilliant in the snow and never failed me. I live in a cottage up a half mile of farm road so the TT was ploughing through the stuff as it was so low which was the only time it struggled. Purists will say the A4 version is better (which it is) but remember its also heavier = less mpg.

If you are really worried about it you can get a different Haldex controller for about £500 which will make more power go to the back wheels and quicker.

4. g00se

g00se Active Member

Like spider said ^^^^, Haldex cars are fine.. they drive most the time being front wheel drive untill a loss of traction and then 40% power gets diverted to the rear wheels.

£500 will get you the sport haldex upgrade to a neautral 50/50 split controller, or for ****s and giggles get the £700 race version at 60/40 percent bias to the rear wheels (as per below - me goosing about in my modifed Mk4 R32 lol)

[​IMG]

And to answer your question, I never got stuck in snow in either the Haldex R32 or my Quattro S4.. it all comes down to driving properly, and decent tyres.

goose

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  5. A4_MaJiK

A4_MaJiK Azeem

Anybody know the split ratio on the Torsen diffs on the B7 Quattro by any chance? I believe it's 50/50 on normal models and 60/40 on the RS4 but somebody will have to confirm that for me.

6. HEKTOR

HEKTOR Member

Your r32 looks great!

Both Torsen & haldex work in the snow. Both have there limitations but i think they will be ok in the snow if we see any... High chance if you live in scotland like me... cant wait :yes:

7. Joe_Murphy21187

Joe_Murphy21187 S-Tronic

Torsen type 1 or 2 centre differential, 50:50 'default' split, automatically apportioning up to 75% of torque transfer to either front or rear axle. Which was applied to the B5 variant of the A4.

The B7 S4 & RS4 hace the Torsen type 3 centre differential, 40:60 'default' split front-rear, automatically apportioning up to 80% of the torque to one axle (and with the aid of ESP, up to 100% of the torque can be transferred to one axle).

Not sure which of these applies to the standard B7 A4 though...

8. ben.w93

ben.w93 Member

I had an old 8l haldex, that was so much fun, was like a go cart. I then went into the 2.0TQ A4, that again was a wicked bit of kit once I changed my DV. I went out for a test drive in a 170 8P A3 when looking at changing the 8L. It seemed to go reasonable well, but it was very wet when I drove it and it struggled to put the power down pulling off a roundabouts a bit quick. My mapped 3.0tdi will turn the traction control light on in 2nd and 3rd if you wind it up enough.

9. PetrolDave

PetrolDave Well-Known Member

IIRC the B7 A4 quattros have a 50:50 default torque split.