1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on 1.6 FSI S-Line 56 Plate

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by sh4q, Dec 29, 2009.

1. sh4q

sh4q New Member

Hi

I am looking for opinion on buying my next car 1.6 FSI S-Line 2006 model.
    Whats its like? I know its cheap to Insure but is it economical and is it quick?

Is it worth buying?
    What do you think?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

Everything that people here have said about the 1.6 points to it being a slow boring turd of an engine :sadlike: my dad used to have a 2.0 FSi and it was pretty uninspiring, I must admit.

However, the only way to know for sure, is to drive it yourself. Whether or not you'll be satisfied in the long run is hard to tell from a short test drive, but at least you won't be like "oh no, what did I buy this for" as soon as you drive away

4. V6Pete

V6Pete Now running on Bentley's y'all

Hell no. 115bhp in something as lardy as an A3 is bordering on being dangerously slow. It's pretty much the slowest A3 8P ever produced.

5. sh4q

sh4q New Member

Yeh thats what I thought, Ive got a choice of either going for 1.6 Fsi s line or 2.0 TDI S line but only thing that might let me down on the TDi is the engine noise compared with the Fsi. Another one Ive looked at 2.0 TFSI DSG S line, very quick but not economical.

6. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

A new one is something like 102 bhp. Hold on to your wigs! :wacko:

7. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

The diesel sounds like a tractor and the 1.6 like a fart in a bean tin. So for nice noises you're looking in the wrong place...

...2.0 TFSi. Be good to yourself...:o.k:

8. V6Pete

I'd take the rattle and the extra bhp.

Although the TDI isnt' that quick, it's torquey and has a turbo so feels quicker than it is.

9. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

Feels quicker? Come on now, have a read of the internet...everyone knows a diesel A3 is a road-melting beast; Those Civic Type R's don't have a chance

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. ru4shaw

ru4shaw Member

i got a 1.6 fsi and round town its quick enough if you keep the revs up (30-35mpg) but on the motorway it hasn't got much pull

11. V6Pete

Careful, I always seem to get in trouble for winding up diesel lovers...

12. HotboxDeluxe

HotboxDeluxe automatic

Between 'winding up' and 'just telling the bloody truth' is a very thin line Pete :laugh:

13. sh4q

sh4q New Member

So what do you recommend? looking for one that is quick and economical from 1.6 fsi sline, 2.0 tfsi s line and 2.0 TDI s line?
    Is it easy enough to remap 2.0 TDI and 1.6 fsi? and will it make a lot of difference?

14. V6Pete

It depends what you mean by economical - I get between 22 and 30mpg from my 3.2 which is economical enough for me. But other people might find anything less than 50mpg unacceptable.

It also depends what you mean by quick - the only car I have driven that felt properly quick was a Dodge Viper, but that wouldn't be so good on fuel.

It's all a compromise, but generally anything with a turbo, diesel or petrol will be better on fuel than a naturally aspirated engine with similar power.

A 2.0 TDI can be remapped and will make it feel quicker. Mapping a 1.6 FSI would be like putting sexy underwear on Heather from Eastenders. Fine in theory, but really ain't gonna make all that much difference.

If you want a balance between power and economy, it sounds like a TDI is the way to go for you.

15. ru4shaw

ru4shaw Member

i think with a remap on a 1.6 fsi you get a extra 12hp

16. sh4q

sh4q New Member

I'd like a a3 that is quicker than my previous cars which was BMW e46 140bhp and audi a3 1.6 sport which was 102bhp but both were not economical.
    From what I checked with 2.0 TFSi which give 200bhp, combined its 38mpg and 47mpg on motorway - seems to be good compared with the TDI its 51mpg combined.

17. V6Pete

Don't believe that fuel consumption from the 2.0 TFSI. I've driven both an Octavia vRS and Scirocco 2.0 TFSI, and in average driving I got about 25-30mpg.

If you've had a 140bhp E46, how on earth is a 115bhp A3 going to feel quicker?

It's always a compromise between performance and economy. You need to decide which is most important, and what is reasonable to you.

If you want it to feel quicker than your previous cars, get a 2.0 TFSI. If you want better economy buy a 2.0 TDI.

18. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

mmmm, I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt along with manufacturers MPG figures LOL