Ongoing starting fault A4 2.6

mikekr1s

Reaction score
About nine months ago my starting woes began. I came out to the car turned her over and unbelievably as soon as it fired, ran for 1 second then cut out. It did this another two times and then started with a bit of pedal.Over the course of the next few months it continued to do this,all be it completely intermittently.It also did it when it was hot. Well last weekend it did it again but this time failed to start at all. I'm just in the process of changing the coolant temperature sensor as people have indicated that this could be the fault. The last time the codes were checked at the garage i was informed that the sensor was iffy. I'm hoping this could be the answer but just can't see it myself. Any other info would be great.
Cheers all

Its probably the immobiliser.

It allows the engine to start then cuts it off after a second or two if it cant verify the key.

What is the immo light on the dashboard doing when the car wont start?

I didn't know that there was an immobiliser light but will check it out after iv'e got the new coolant sensor fitted and update. Thanks

I'll do that. It was just my worry that the ECU had imploded as it did at 18000 miles and the cars just turned 38000

I'm on 173,000 miles and most bits are still the originals, 100,000 of those are miles I've done too :)

If it does do it release the steering column and move it up and down (or down and up) and then try restart.

Sounds a good plan before i take anything apart.. Cheers Oranoco.
100000 miles:ohmy:

Looks like fun.. Still the best looking car that broke the mould in my opinion:hubbahubba:
My things motorbikes to be honest but anything with an engine sits well with me:rockwoot:

Bit of an update.

Got round to fitting the coolant temp sensor(no skin left on the back of me my hands)
Went to start and exactly the same thing happened(cut out after a second).
Loosened the wheel, gave the column a couple of sharp up and downs, went to start and ****** me, Bingo. No issues, runs beautifully.
An immo fault seems to be the issue which i will look at shortly. The upside of replacing the sensor has cured the wandering RPM so i'm really happy about that, just need to fix the immo but i'll monitor it over the next few days.