1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One year on....

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)' started by Crazyfool, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Sep 28, 2009]
    Originally I sold my B6 to replace it with a B8 Avant; then thought what's the point when the new car will be sitting on the driveway whilst I walk to work and make all business journeys via public transport. Plus my wife is on maternaty leave, so the Pug being such a problem free car would be suffice for a year (or should I say was problem free). This has given me more time to think about what I want, but thought I would call apon your service again.

To those few B8 2.0T avant owners out there; what are your views on your purchase. Do you have any regrets; 170TDI instead, optional extra choices, saloon sufficient for a family of 4......pros and cons.

I am currently looking at the S-Line, but SE and 170TDI views would also be appreciated. And to throw something in the mix; how about an A6 avant 170TDI instead?
    :uhm:
    Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 24, 2014]

3. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Nov 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM]
    It's funny how looking through posts trying to find something, I stumbled across this...thanks for the responses guys...:lick:!

Well reporting 5 years on, I can safely say that my 2.0T A4 S-Line Avant (B8) has without a shadow of a doubt, been the most expensive car I have ever owned...and that is not based on how much I paid for it. Similar to my previous A4, I bought the car when it was about 3 months old with 2,500miles on the clock. And like my previous A4, it was a dream up until the warranty ran out. Then I was and continue to be raped of my money!.

I thought the repair bills and continuing engine issues on my previous A4 were expensive, but they pail into total insignificance compared to this car. On average I am spending £1,000 a year on repairs, some of which you can say is wear and tear, but I don't consider them to be normal wear and tear. Timing chain failure, the infamous oil burning issue, shock absorbers all round, the list goes on.

Needless to say and it really saddens me; but unless I want to be castrated by the wife, there is a very good chance I wont be buying another Audi! My only saving grace is that the best car I have ever bought is my V6 Audi Convertible which is still going strong.
  4. Anthony566

Anthony566 Active Member

[Nov 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM]
    that's a shame as I am on to my second Audi A4 first one was petrol and the current one is a TDi and 14 months on its been perfect ... but one bad car doesn't make a entire manufacturer !!! and there are bad ones out there from them all really ...
  5. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Nov 18, 2014 at 7:07 PM]
    I really like Audi, love the design, the performance of the 2.0T engine is fantastic, but to have two out of three duds is really disappointing. More to the point, it's the 18 year old car that is the most reliable. Like the garage said to me during my engine rebuild...'they don't make them like they used to.'

Last year I was considering changing the A4 for a 3.0TDI S-Line A6 avant because its a nice looking car, has the Quattro system and more to the point Reading Audi have always treated me really well. But with all the issues I've had, I'm struggling to justify the purchase.

I can't bring myself to buy a BMW; just don't like the bland interior, so I've been looking at the E350 CDI AMG. But yet again I have my reservations. The only difference with the Merc is that I haven't heard a bad word about them, so I'm still waiting for someone to say 'don't be stupid!'

At the moment, the only way I would consider going back to Audi is if my next car is even worse than this one.

I'm in a real quandary.
  6. rum4mo

rum4mo Active Member

[Nov 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM]
    From sister-in-laws experiences of Mercs, I have to say that starting with the TE that needed moved on after 5 or 6 years due to "it going to be a cylinder head off time soon", through a C class Sport - to be fair it was not its fault that its splitter was a bit lower than expected, so needed sorted frequently, to a very nice 320E CDI estate which was said to be running out of life at about 7 years - she headed for BMW, why, well it was entirely due to the attitude of Audi dealer from Kent area, they could not be bothered following up enquiries. Yes they all have issues right now!
  7. scotty76

scotty76 Well-Known Member

[Nov 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM]
    I part ex'd my wife's Ford Focus for a B7 this reason. :)
  8. Rodders.

Rodders. Active Member

[Nov 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM]
    I'm out of the audi game, shame as really nice cars....but they just cost so much to keep going, which I didn't expect from a premium brand!

Back to the ford's for me.
    Kalashnikov likes this.
  9. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Nov 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM]
    It's interesting and something I posted on here before; but my mate works for BP. His mate works for Shell in the engine oil development team.

Not that long ago Shell published a report; not sure if it was open to the public or just internal, but they conducted an endurance test on a number of manufacturers engines.

Basically, they took the engines apart, measured the components, put them back together again, then ran them for 50k miles. They then repeated the same exercise a further two times so that in the end the engines had run 150k miles.

As to be expected, BMW and Mercedes came out top as being the best, there were a handful of cars inbetween, including VW and Ford were rock bottom. The Audi engine was one up from Ford!!

The funny thing is I would rather take the risk and purchase what could be another dodgy Audi, rather than playing it safe and buying a BMW!
    V6 Quatt and scotty76 like this.