One for those with the 300mm rear brake set up...

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Im thinking of fitting 300mm rear brake set up on my 2001 S3
When i changed my wheels recently i noticed the dust shield behind the rear discs wouldnt clear 300mm discs. Do these need reshaping to clear them? or is there another option?

You just trim off the 90 degree lip on your back plates Paul and fit the larger discs. Takes about 2 mins per side with some decent tin snips or a grinder. Just be sure to paint up the exposed edge to stop them rusting.

Is it really worth the upgrade? Money wise and performance?

Its 2 part for me...
The rears look lost at the moment. and the brakes on my car are an area im going to look at... never realy given me much confidence, So its one of 2 ideas up front and as the discs and pads are getting ready on the rear... thought might look into this

Where you sourcing the discs and adaptors from paul?

I took the mine off when I had my ECS stage1 rears fitted. The fitting instructions tells you where to cut it and bend it out the way.

I've always wanted to upgrade my rear brakes as my car feels like its doing an endo when I'm hard on the brakes. This was until I saw the price for it :faint:

If anyone finds any cheaper alternative please let me know ;)

No :p same thing.

Westicles: DaveB used to offer a 300mm rear conversion for sensible money, I'll ask him if he still does.

Dave b's rear kit consists of s4 rear discs re pcd'd, some little spigot ring things to sit in the middle so the discs locate properly and some reasonably simple brackets ;)

This is the kit I got off of him for around the £300 mark a wee while ago so prices if he's still doing them are likely to have changed

This is the kind of idea i have.
No part of the set up will be hard for me to draw up and machine. Ive just put it off until my current discs started to look tired. Which they are now starting to.
Ive done the same kind of thing for a mk3 golf vr6 before.
Some people on here started on about the extra unsprung weight... Yes it will be greater but not by a lot. I dout i will notice anything other than better looks and more balanced braking .

Some people on here started on about the extra unsprung weight... Yes it will be greater but not by a lot. I dout i will notice anything other than better looks and more balanced braking .

My 2 piece 308s was lighter than the original vented disks IIRC. So 300mm S4 disks will weigh more. Of course it's it's not that much weight difference, but take into consideration of the disk size increase with the weight, then the unsprung rotational weights are amplified by a lot more. <if that makes any sense? lol :think:>

Does anyone have some drawing with dimensions of stock rear discs?

Another option with B5 models is to use 280x20mm front disks on the rear, with S8 carriers.

A similar combo might be possible on the S3 using 280mm front disks from a low spec A3?

S3 calipers should fit over them, you'll just need to sort out some sort of adaptor bracket.

Another option with B5 models is to use 280x20mm front disks on the rear, with S8 carriers.

A similar combo might be possible on the S3 using 280mm front disks from a low spec A3?

S3 calipers should fit over them, you'll just need to sort out some sort of adaptor bracket.

S3 calipers weigh quite a bit, so I'd stick with the standard rear calipers personally, not to mention the brake bias would be heavily effected using such a large calipers for the rears.

I've always wanted to upgrade my rear brakes as my car feels like its doing an endo when I'm hard on the brakes. This was until I saw the price for it :faint:

If anyone finds any cheaper alternative please let me know ;)

Me too!!

So then. What is a realistic upgrade?

We all upgrade the fronts and to be honest it has unbalanced my car under heavy braking! Do people have better results with a performance pad on the rear or will it make no difference due to the brake bias and the fact most of us now run 4 pots on the front?

So then. What is a realistic upgrade?

We all upgrade the fronts and to be honest it has unbalanced my car under heavy braking! Do people have better results with a performance pad on the rear or will it make no difference due to the brake bias and the fact most of us now run 4 pots on the front?

How unbalanced are we on about Neil? LCRs run Brembo's up front and standard S3 sized vented rears. My car does stop nicely with Brembo's up front and ECS stage1 rears. It's feels the same as having standard rears, but I can't really say it's reduced my stopping distances.

How unbalanced are we on about Neil? LCRs run Brembo's up front and standard S3 sized vented rears. My car does stop nicely with Brembo's up front and ECS stage1 rears. It's feels the same as having standard rears, but I can't really say it's reduced my stopping distances.

Dont get me wrong, my car stops well but under heavy braking from speed it becomes very light and twitchy at the rear (as do I ;) ). I'm currently running DS2500s on the front but OEM discs and Pads at the rear. I was wondering if a better pad and disc on the rear would help the balance.

Rear brakes do naff all breaking in the real world. We're car enthusiasts so we like to upgrade things, but in all honesty, some Castrol SRF, braided lines and DS2500s all round should be more than enough (Brembo front, standard rears)...

Oh I forgot to mention I'm also running budget tyres at the moment. I'm not proud of it but such is life ;) I think they may have some influence on my poor braking. I might try a decent rear pad and see how that improves things.

If you've got 358's up front, then go for a larger setup on the rear so you don't look like a bellend...

Holy thread resurrection.....

I'be probably got about 10 sets of the brackets left to convert the 300mm rears to TT S3 R32

if somebody was interested themselves in organising getting say 10 sets of S4 rears Re PCD to 5x100 and a disc mounting screw machined in I'd let them go very affordably I'd also include the centring rings which are a nightmare to machine as they're only 1.5mm thick and tapered!

so somebody with a handy machine shop could get these all,sorted for sub/around £200.

I not planning on selling these for peanuts one at a time, need to ditch them as a job lot for all ten.

anybody interested just drop me a PM

I decided to make the hole kit up for £160 with discs
I agree the spigots are a bit of a ****** but mine took about 20 min
Re PCDing discs can be a pain if like mine they have 10 holes so relocating the securing screw take a little planning.

The brackets and spigots are about £1000 for all 10 sets, discs are about £50 per pair from memory, got some bolts knocking about. Machining probably £25 plus Vat. The discs from APEC are the 5 hole versions, dead straight forward

just needs somebody to organise it all

Ive already made 6 sets of brakets now,
Im looking at other makes of disc to help,
£67 inc vat was the best price i found for discs.
Your kit was £300 when i looked into it.
Then they became unavailabe. i have just made what i knew i wanted and offered the same kit to other members at a price that means my costs ( machining/ material and time ) are covered to make it worth the effort.
Ive also said i will re drill discs for anybody who buys a kit from me for aslong as they need at just £15 a pair plus postage

Ahhhh... So this would be me stepping on your toes...... didn't mean to..

Got lots of old stock that needs to go before year end, if there's anything you can do with these, let me know.

all top,quality CNC billet stuff hard anodised and made on the same MAZAK machine that makes for Red Bull.

Got a load of brackets for the 996 Front on the re-PCD 330mm Alfa discs