1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One for Bowfer...Manual DSG

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Eeef, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

2. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Item 6 is perhaps the answer to Bowfers prayers ! Sounds expensive though if you read Item 4.

Item 7 is not correct, at least for an A3. On a 'Euro-spec' A3 with a DSG you can use the paddles in D or S but it reverts to the selected auto mode after about 30 seconds if the paddle levers are not used again.
  3. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Everyone who reviewed the DSG complained that this Manual mode was really not manual at all as it was *automatically* shifting for you before redline!

[/ QUOTE ]

I should start a club.
  4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Yes, a good idea. A club for all those who bought a car with a DSG without driving one first and therefore not knowing how the current DSG worked.
  5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, a good idea. A club for all those who bought a car with a DSG without driving one first and therefore not knowing how the current DSG worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  6. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah yeah yeah,because everyone who moans about DSG in any way,shape,or form must have been poorly informed when they bought it..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

You should start a club David.

The "nothing has gone wrong with my Audi" club.

Going by this forum,you won't have to print many t-shirts.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  7. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

You still cannot accept that you made a silly mistake can you !

None of it is your fault. It's all Audi fault for designing the DSG to suit me and not to suit you. Your the ones that's unhappy with their car, not me. I love my Audi just the way it is.

The sooner you change cars the happier you will be, but unforutately that's not under your control.
  8. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You still cannot accept that you made a silly mistake can you !

None of it is your fault. It's all Audi fault for designing the DSG to suit me and not to suit you. Your the ones that's unhappy with their car, not me. I love my Audi just the way it is.

The sooner you change cars the happier you will be, but unforutately that's not under your control.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can accept I made a mistake,but you're assuming everyone else did as well !

It is possible,outside your little all-things-Audi-world,that other owners were perfectly aware that DSG did this but,over time,it's grown to annoy them.

Must everyone remain just as happy with their car as the day they bought it ?

Nothing grows to bug you about your car ?

Actually,silly question,seeing as you've bought five (or whatever) of the bleeding things... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  9. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Now now lets not act like children
  10. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Bowfer you have finally accepted that you made a mistake in buying an A3 with a DSG.

As you say I did not. Perhaps others did. If so they will probably not buy another. Personally I love the A3 hence I have actually purchased 5 off them (together with 4 other Audis) with my own money. Audi just seem to to be able to make cars that I like and enjoy.

So, as marriedblonde has suggested - lets not act as children. End of discussion.
  11. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    End of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh,hark at you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif
  12. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Perhaps what I should have said was...

End of discussion with BOWFER.
  13. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps what I should have said was...

End of discussion with BOWFER.

[/ QUOTE ]

Capitals,by crikey.

Steady on David,you'll hurt my feelings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  14. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is no way I could hurt your feelings, bowfer (there, is that better)
  15. mikep

mikep Member

Dave, can I have one of those T shirts please?

Anyone else?
  16. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Guys, you have reached the point where nothing either of you says is going to:

a) change the other's mind, or:

b) tell us anything new that we didn't previously know about DSG.

In other words:

Edited by MarriedBlonde: Valid point picture not required /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  17. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Then may I suggest that you do not bother to read any further posts with DSG in the heading.

Bowfer and I quite enjoy our liitle 'discussions' don't we Bowfer. Life would not be so much fun if we all agreed with each other all the time.

I can see Bowfers point of view, I just don't happen to agree with it, in the same way I'm sure he can see mine but dosn't agree with it.

From this particular thread I'm sure that you will have learned that, given enough expertise and money the DSG software can be changed and that someone has already done it on a TT, but also that some of the information give in the original article that Eeef gave us the link to was not correct.

So whilst I accept the we will never change each others mind - that is not the intention. This thread has probably told you something new that you didn't previously know about DSG.
  18. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    This thread has probably told you something new that you didn't previously know about DSG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, David, the one thing none of your DSG threads have told me is the answer to the specific question I asked in the "Lag" thread about how DSG operated relative to Tiptronic, presumably because you were to busy jousting with each other to notice a serious question from another contributor.
  19. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's because neither of has a Tiptronic gearbox. Audi sell A3s with two types of 'auto' gearboxes. The 2.0FSI has a conventional automatic gearbox with tiptronic controls and the 2.0TDI and others have the DSG gearbox. Not the same.

And this particular thread was about "One for Bowfer - Manual DSG" which is just where Bowfer and I disagree.
  20. jdp1962

I think you might know the answer to my question anyway. Am I right in thinking both are essentially an auto box that allows you a degree of manual control, but the DSG has friction clutches (albeit electronically actuated) whereas the Tiptronic uses a conventional torque converter?
  21. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Yes Jeff, thats correct. The clutches in the DSG are 'wet' friction clutches running in oil rather than conventional dry friction clutches.

I have a copy of a very good article on the design etc of the DSG called 'A different automatic'. If you would like a copy PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy. It's in PDF format.
  22. jdp1962

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes Jeff, thats correct. The clutches in the DSG are 'wet' friction clutches running in oil rather than conventional dry friction clutches.

I have a copy of a very good article on the design etc of the DSG called 'A different automatic'. If you would like a copy PM me with your email address and I will send you a copy. It's in PDF format.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have PM