One for badger or tuffty. ko4 conversion got a quick question

Craig1.8t

Reaction score
Got a MK4 golf with 1.8T AUM engine, I have all parts for my conversion now, only information I'm missing is the map side of things.

What should I do about map? currently running stage 2 software with n249 delete and 17705 fault code delete.

Will I have to have another map or? Seeked info elsewhere but no one gives me any info that's even close to giving me an answer...

If you have a non K04 car and you put a k04 on it then yes you will need a new map. You can fit the conversion, minus injectors, unplug the n75 electronically and drive it to your chosen tuners and the car will not blow up.

Currently running a stage 2 for a ko3/s???

You will need a new map.

You cannot use maps for different turbos.
When the conversion is done you will have to run on actuator pressure only, do this by disconnecting the n75 electronically, until you get a map for the ko4.

Hi thanks for reply. May sound like I'm a novice, but could I run an s3 ecu on std map and will it run like it should?

It'll cost more to code in a new ecu, sort out the different sensors and generally mess around whilst making more work. Do it right do it once. Get the correct map from Bill or Niki and enjoy the car

Hi, I can do all the coding my self for the ecu, and can get my hands on any sensor it requires to run the ecu. Please tell me what sensors I need to run the s3 ecu, I have an s3 ecu also so wouldn't cost anything to buy ecu or code in.

Its more the ecu needs to be compatible with the loom. And depends what ko4 you have on too.

A stock ko4 map ecu would technically be ok, if you get the right ecu. So if your car is wideband, youd need a later wideband s3 ecu.

Id personally not ****** around with all that and just run on actuator.

The turbo is from BAM and the ecu is from 2001 s3 with AMK.

Not bein a pain or hard to work with, just the more info the better in my opinion. Loom is AUM loom, is JBS a good option? As JBS is a lot closer than rtech and badger.

Would it have to be custom? Or can file be made without car? (Again sorry if I sound novice lol)

So turbo has an egt port? Which the aum loom doesnt accomodate? But the s3 ecu will.

get it fitted first and run it on actuator for now.
You can put a generic map on for a ko4 car, but its still best going to a tuner that will do it properly, on a dyno, logging, even with generic file.

You need injectors and maf for this conversion, do you have those?
Whatever you do, do not fit them until a proper map is done

Yeah have the maf and injectors. only thing holding me back is the map side.

If I put a generic map on for ko4, will my engine be safe? As custom maps do not come cheap, not that I'm saying they're too expensive and I don't want to pay, just can't part with the cash straight away after fitting parts.

You will need an EGT probe if you plan to use the S3 ECU and code as is... Bill has coded out EGT probes though...

Bill and Niki have the most experience of this kind of setup and it will be worth the Journey... however... I would read the thread about remaps in the stickies as this contains relevant info you should know before taking the car anywhere...

Due to the nature of these age of cars and the nature of this conversion you might be better off taking it to Bill as he will be in a position to rectify the majority of issues should they arise on the day...

As good as you think your car is it is rare to see one these days that hasn't got some sort of issue that needs sorting prior to mapping...

As for the whole don't want to pay for a map thing... seriously dude, you should have done the research prior to fitting the gear... you can't just fit larger stuff and expect it all to work....

Injectors and MAF will need scaling as a minimum as this will throw fueling out the window...

If you are stuck and obvs need to drive the car to get it to mapping then use the AUM maf tube and injectors, unplug the N75 and don't boot it or rev too high...

<tuffty/>

If you have an AUM engine then you more than likely have the HN ecu, this will run BAM sw without any issues and do so on the AUM loom, but you'll need the EGT coded out as stated.

Tuffty, I think you mis understood what I mean about paying for a map, I mean its not that I don't want to pay and its not that its too expensive, its just that I can't part with the cash the minute I install parts, I would prefer to have it done properly, how ever I'm just doing a bit of home work see what my options are to run ko4 safely.

Badger, you worry me with your reply, whats maximum out put with aum rods? If I was to put rods in, what would be the best option in terms or cost, as I will never want to run 500+ 350 would be my very max if I was to install rods.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

Tuffty, I think you mis understood what I mean about paying for a map, I mean its not that I don't want to pay and its not that its too expensive, its just that I can't part with the cash the minute I install parts, I would prefer to have it done properly, how ever I'm just doing a bit of home work see what my options are to run ko4 safely.

Badger, you worry me with your reply, whats maximum out put with aum rods? If I was to put rods in, what would be the best option in terms or cost, as I will never want to run 500+ 350 would be my very max if I was to install rods.

Thanks for the feedback so far :)

As I said mate... you can arguably run with the K04 on actuator pressure only using the AUM MAF and injectors with your current ECU/map but... you will need to keep an eye on fuelling... on actuator pressure a std K04 should produce less than 200hp which is in the range of the typical K03 setup...

I still wouldn't rag it though...

AUM engines uses 19mm pinned sintered crack rods with tangless bearings... they are not the strongest in the world...

<tuffty/>

Right roger that my friend, I'll have a custom map after all.

In terms of the rods, what bhp can they handle? Would you recommend fitting an AGU bottom end if my rods do decide to play silly buggers

And when you say keep an eye on fuelling how would I do that without taking vagcom with me everywhere I go lol

And when you say keep an eye on fuelling how would I do that without taking vagcom with me everywhere I go lol

Daft ******!... no... when its running, drive it and log it... if the fuelling looks ok then you should be good to get it to wherever to get it mapped but you must at least do some logging to make sure that fuelling is not going to be an issue until you have got the mapping done...

If you get this wrong your engine will melt...

<tuffty/>

I understand that running lean WILL melt a piston(s) so logging I will do, what am I looking out for in terms of figures? Rather than post logs unless you don't mind?

Badger is a long way, but judging from the feedback he's my favourite of the lot, so will be using him so will need to get the car running safely to travel the distance.

Regarding the AGU bottom end, would that be a good option if one of the rods throws? And also what bhp will AUM rods handle?