One big long lasting problem need help please?

madmark

Reaction score
I have a A3 x reg 1.9tdi sport 110bhp and had service light on and cambelt needed replacing also i noticed a hesitation in the power so had cambelt and service done all fine but it still had a hesitating its as if the turbo isn't working and the car is holding back ?
If i pull over turn it of and restart its fine for a while then it blows the turbo pipe off and broke down the pipe that runs from the turbo to the rad i think in the front pass wing clamped that back on all back to normal with the hesitation!!

I had a mate do a readout came up with tc wastegate valve replaced that no change someone said try the temp senders replaced them 2 and no change still?
I still have this holding back problem i looked at it running the other day and there is air bubbles going through the fuel line ? I just had the car running if i shake the diesel filter loads of bubbles go through the clear fuel pipe on top of the filter there is a plastic unit with 2 pipes on it ? if i move it loads of bubbles its held in with a metal clip should there be movement in this part or should it be a tight fit says in manual fuel bleed/control valve has a arrow on it pointing away from the engine could this be the main problem with the engine holding back this problem has been going on over a month now and loads of people looked at it and cant sort it out HELP please

Last edited by a moderator:
thankyou for your reply made intreasting reading maybe the problem thenas garage changed the filter will get on to them about the bubbles cheers:thumbsup:
does any1 else have any idears and could it realy just be the air causing such a major problem ? if yes why when i run the car and it pulls back if i turn it off and restart its ok and power comes back i thought it would play up again if the air was the problem and should the be play in that bleed vaulve could it be drawing air in to the filter through that ?:keule:

Last edited:
update the car is going to the garage tomorrow to go on the computer for a reading will keep you all up to date with the resault

garage said the car is over boosting and needs a new turbo £800 not good:lmfao:

The turbocharger's hot side needs cleaning as it looks that the VNT mechanism is stuck and the car overboosts thus triggering "limp mode". I would start by checking n75 aka the boost control solenoid and i would check the actuator is working, ie, it holds vacuum. Diesel engines needs regular trashing to help clear soot of the exhaust and to keep things moving ok.

The turbocharger's hot side needs cleaning as it looks that the VNT mechanism is stuck and the car overboosts thus triggering "limp mode". I would start by checking n75 aka the boost control solenoid and i would check the actuator is working, ie, it holds vacuum. Diesel engines needs regular trashing to help clear soot of the exhaust and to keep things moving ok.
so there is no real way of saying if it needs a new turbo without removing it and checking have been under the car and free off all moving parts as much as i can without removing it still playing up ? thanx for your info

The VNT mechanism can be cleaned using a kit from Innotec, it's designed to be used in situ and is an industrial product @ around £40 it has to be worth a bash

N75 valve would be first thing to check and work on from there...

ihav been under the car and the lever on the side of the turbo feels tight the one that has a bar conected to a vaulve not sure what its called i have had a read up on the innotec turbo cleaning set and it sounds good loged on to there site and registered as thats the only way to buy the product once i get it will let you all know and i give it a go i will let you know the results fingers crossed

ihav been under the car and the lever on the side of the turbo feels tight the one that has a bar conected to a vaulve not sure what its called i have had a read up on the innotec turbo cleaning set and it sounds good loged on to there site and registered as thats the only way to buy the product once i get it will let you all know and i give it a go i will let you know the results fingers crossed

have ordered the turbo clean set today will try to give it a got this wekend and keep you all up to date with the resaults

The VNT mechanism can be cleaned using a kit from Innotec, it's designed to be used in situ and is an industrial product @ around £40 it has to be worth a bash
have ordered this turbo clean set mate thanx for your responce got to be worth a try cheers

now half way through doing the turbo clean prosses what a mission now got to leave 1 hr for cleaner to work then rinse with turbo clean 2 and put the car back together lol fingers crossed as far as useng the piece of cardboard they send you to seal up the turbo its a joke i got a pice of sink waste pipe with 3 layers of tape round it perfect tight fit in turbo then a 90 corner bend pluged it into turbo and filled it up perfect and so much easyer havent once had to go under the car yet removed trunking off airbox and done all work form up the top resault will keep you up to date

:weight_lift2: thats it all back together will test for a week then let you know results wasent to bad to do lets hope its done the job if now its going to be a recon turbo :scared2:

:banghead:no no no all this work done and still aint working same fault still loss of power then turn car off and then power comes back any1 want to buy a a3 ydi sport new 19" alloys cambelt and service just done new cat x reg 92000 mil £3000

does anyone know if i put a recon turbo on will it cure this overboosting problem please help i am going round in circles also now when i turn the car off it makes a poof noise as if its releasing a loah of preshure ? will useing it damage the engine

You need to remove the turbo mate, it sounds like the wastegate itself is actually either stuck or getting stuck as you've replaced the valve that controls the boost with the wastegate, but when you say you turn engine of it lets of a mighty poooof noise which sounds like there is a huge build up of pressure in the charge air system.

I would remove the turbo, take it apart carefully & check the vanes inside for movement, this would ideally show you if new turbo needed & possibly point to your issues, cause the actuator for wastegate should be moveable by hand, albeit tight but moveable just, but you say its stiff as hell, this indicates to me vanes are stuck.

I personally wouldnt drive it until its sorted cause if you blow the turbo from overboosting, the impelller could snap of & this could dump oil through the charge air system, intercooler etc & that would take while to clean out, crap job as I've had to do it, also new turbo if that happens.

You've been warned, dont drive it until fixed, my advice anyway

ok thankyou for your help and advice i will take it and take the car off the road untill weekend then try to remove the turbo for a look cheers for your help

here we go again now got a recon turbo on order this must put it right i hope

I think I have a similar problem wth my A4 110. I've changed the EGR valve, that made a difference, but the turbo is a bit hit & miss, sometimes fine, others as if its not working. The car did 40K miles in the first two years from new, then its not done alot, my wife used it for five years, doing 3k max a year until I started using it again and its now only 93K. I think the turbo is caked up, going off the state of the EGR. I have not had any engine lights (yet?) Any way how ££££ is the recon turbo, I'm expecting a big bill as the cambelt is due again??

Depends on your turbo, but seen few on ebay but you could have yours removed, cleaned up & possibly uprated aswell.

Could also check your IMF & intake manifold for clogginess

i got the recon turbo for £316 delivered with 1 year garantee its being fitted on wednesday there is more than 1 type of turbo and as always mine is the most expensive lol the garret turbo built in to the exhaust manifold so have to replace the whole lot the unit is like new realy good service will post on here again once fitted for your updates

people on here keep saying about a n75 vaulve can someone let me know what it does and were it is on a a3 x reg 1.9 tdi sport thankyou mark

picked up the new oilfeed pipe and seals today from audi main dealers £33 ready to go in to the garage wednesday for the turbo to be fitted will update when its done hope all goes well its been a nightmare

Why new oil feed pipe?

N75 depends on engine tbh, on the derv bkd engine it is a solenoid valve block with a number of valves inside, most other cars have the valve on its own.

have to replace the oilfeed pipe otherwise the garantee on the recon turbo is void

TBH mate, I tested mine with flow of older oil & it was fine, who supplied the recon?

Turbodynamics say its possible you have to change the feed pipe, but doesnt go as far to say its a neccessity if you have checked the pipe.

got the turbo from global auto parts and parts to be replaced are as follows oil feed pipe , oilfilter,oil,airfilter,egr valve along with the turbo replacement but as i only had the car serviced 60 miles ago trying to sort the problem all i am having done is the oilfeed pipe as the rest has been replaced i just hope it sorts it out had the car 2 months spent loads on it and done about 120 miles in total its been in the garage more than its been on my drive lol fingers crossed this is the big fix it needs

crunch day for my a3 now taking it to the garage for recon turbo to be fitted will have a new car soon the amount of new parts i am putting on it trying to sort this problem this has to work ( i hope } fingers crossed

right its back lol been for a 40 mile drive all ok ( so far ) apart from when i turn it off still does that poof noise as if its releasing presure any idears should it do that its not loud just when the engine stops about 5 secs after it goes poof as if its releasing a air build up will give it another run today but i dont hold my hopes up for it being fixed fingers crossed will keep you all up to date still aint putting no warning lights on or reporting no codes its a good gremlin

I Have not read all the thread but just on your last post about the noise when you switch off the engine. Thats probably the ASV (anti shudder valve). Normal.

been out twice and so far all is well no more holding back or limp mode as its called thets hope it stays that way just want to say thankyou to all that advised me on this link your all a great help to have this sort of help and advice online so a very big thankyou:salute:

Last edited:
yes the recon turbo done the job any1 needing a turbo try global auto parts birmingham top service good price and 12 months warrenty £316 exchange and they collect old unit they were very helpful worth a look i went through ebay thanks to you all who replyed to this link with awnsers for me cheers mark

hi mark! It is benn over twoo years now since you fitted the recon turbo from global auto parts, how is it? if you still have the car, I need a recon turbo myself and I would like to know more about recon turbos from global auto parts birmingham. thanks. ernie