1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onboard computer problems 1999/S

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by alex100a, Dec 23, 2010.

1. alex100a

alex100a New Member

[Dec 23, 2010]
    Hi All,

I've recently started to experience problems with my onbaord computer. Firstly when I started the car a week or so ago the computer display in the middle of the dash did not come on (mileage and seperate trip was ok). After about 10 minutes it sprange back into life but since then has been flickering on and off. Its not just a display thing as every time it comes back on it does the system check (saying OK). It now appears to stay on all the time when driving however between starts the computer resets everything back to zero like I've cleared it.

The car had been standing for a few weeks so could it be a damp problem??

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards

Alex
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 20, 2014]

3. Andy1963

Andy1963 New Member

[Dec 28, 2010]
    Similar problem on my 2003 A6. Started with the Air Bag light going on/off,then the multitronic display would light up all the PRNDS segmemts(limp mode) but drove ok with all gears working and finally instead of "footbrake before selecting gear" msg went straight to "OK" msg. Other times everything would work as normal. Spoke to Audi's they didn't have a clue. Somebody sugested Honest john's website and they said proberly damp in the can-bus system(5volt) or poss a corroded earth connection.Also to check drains in engine bay to make sure not blocked(one of these is under battery tray)

The car was fine during the summer and is left in driveway, don't use it everyday. Bought a car cover and one of those moisture traps and leave it in the footwell when not in use seems to help.
  4. alex100a

alex100a New Member

[Dec 29, 2010]
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Andy1963. A damp/corroded earth would make sense as it been steadily get more reliable as i've used the car but its still resets very time.

If I can find the can-bus systems I might try to check it is dry. Otherwise i'm going to leave a dehumidifier in it for a few nights.

Cheers

alex