Onboard computer no display

slamdunc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a 1999 S3 and the onboard computer display is completely blank. I've had a search on google and as a result tried switching it back on using the reset switch on the stalk and I've also tried removing and replacing both the fuses listed as instrument cluster in the handbook to see if this would help. Unfortunately to no avail. Is it common for these to die completely? Is there anything else I can check?

There is a boost/oil temp/oil pressure gauge on the dash that the previous owner fitted which lights up with the dash lights. Could something maybe have been accidentally unplugged or similar when this was fitted? I don't really want to go pulling the dash to bits if these things generally just die anyway.

OK the computer just came on over the weekend. During my 10 mile journey it flashed on and off a few times and today is completely off again. The blown bulb warning light was on each time it decided to work but I have no blown bulbs. It also flashed up the coolant warning but I used to have the same problem on my MK4 Golf even though the coolant wasn't low.

Does this sound like a loose connection or are they generally this unreliable?

OK the computer just came on over the weekend. During my 10 mile journey it flashed on and off a few times and today is completely off again. The blown bulb warning light was on each time it decided to work but I have no blown bulbs. It also flashed up the coolant warning but I used to have the same problem on my MK4 Golf even though the coolant wasn't low.

Does this sound like a loose connection or are they generally this unreliable?

So the warning part of it is active, is that what you are saying?

I know you have said you've pressed the reset button, but have you just tapped it once as opposed to keeping it pressed, as a tap switches the DIS display on and off. The warnings side of it is just always on. I take it, it displays 'OK' when you start the car, and if you start the car and press the left button on your clocks, it should cycle through the warning checks with animated symbols on the DIS in I remember correctly.

Sounds more like a loose connection to me either on the back of the cluster or actually inside the cluster, I would check the connectors on the back of the cluster they could have a bad contact on the plugs especially if someone has got a lighting feed from the cluster for your new gauge

So the warning part of it is active, is that what you are saying?

I know you have said you've pressed the reset button, but have you just tapped it once as opposed to keeping it pressed, as a tap switches the DIS display on and off. The warnings side of it is just always on. I take it, it displays 'OK' when you start the car, and if you start the car and press the left button on your clocks, it should cycle through the warning checks with animated symbols on the DIS in I remember correctly.

No the warning part wasn't active until the whole display suddenly started working at the weekend. It has stopped working again and the display is completely blank, including the part at the top where the bulb warning light appeared.

I'll check the wires at the back of the cluster for a loose connection.