OMG, how many abs probs get people get

mikeya4

Reaction score
I know a couple of people on here are having issues and mine is too now, Its a 2.5 tdi quattro, the abs light has been on and the fault was always the left rear, ive got a new sensor fitted it and the light went out straight away, after 5 mins of driving it beeped the abs light came on and the flashing light in the dash came up (!) i turned the car off then on again and just the abs light came on when i went over 15mph, any ideas?

The cars have a known fault with the ABS ecu which makes the light come on immediately at startup. This doesnt seem to be what yours has though if its coming on after you start moving.

The common problems with the sensors is the trigger ring gets corroded and stops providing a clear signal to the ECU, which causes it to trip out once you start moving. You'll need to read the fault codes off, if its still the same rear sensor then its most likely the trigger ring to blame.

is the trigger ring on the flange itself?
is that a new flange job or can you replace the ring

Its on the CV joint on a quattro (front and rear) and pressed onto the back of the brake disk on the rear of a FWD.

FWD rear rings come off, but i suspect the CV joint rings are part of the joint.

Aragorn:- Slightly OT but... When it comes time to replace my front discs do I assume that A6 Discs and TT carriers is as straightforward as it sounds? Any complications to expect?

Seems a lot of you guys have been unlucky as per ABS faults.

In all my years of running VAG models, I've never had any ABS issues.

update. the abs light now comes on with igntion and goes out as it should, done about 8 miles today and it hasn't come on, the only issue now is the abs is kicking in on light braking, im thinking i need to clean the abs ring as its not picking up properly? it was being driven without an abs sensor for a month.

cheers

result, i didn't wanna take the whole lot apart so i took the sensor out and looked at the ring through the gap, it all looked ok so i put a paint brush with white spirits on in the hole and turned the drive shaft around to clean it up a bit, I measured the distance between the ring and where the sensor goes in and refitted the sensor till it lightly touched, took it for a drive and for the first min or so you could here it rubbing but i carried on so its obviously worn it down a bit but hey presto no more lights or abs kicking it at normal braking (touch wood) i guess the sensor was too far away to get a proper reading, hopefully this might help others with similar probs

lol, your really not supposed to wear the sensor down with the reluctor...

You may have shortened the life of or damaged the sensor by doing so!

At least its working now, next time you fit one, push it in till it touches then back it out a fraction.

ABS is a bit of a tw@ lol, mine was due to wheel bearing on rear offside. Had it in for MOT and the guy had it on ramp checking suspension and such and found the bearing to be at a fault, they were gonna change it but he found the bearing was in good condition but not sitting right. He sorted it and the ABS stopped showing faults so ended up being a pass :yahoo:
Gotta say was getting real worried as I had all sensors out and cleaned and such but still had the ABS light fault when going over 50mph, but under that the car would feel like the brakes were grinding. Glad it never cost me the earth to fix :w00t: