1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG Break Light Bulb change FAIL

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by TimG, Jan 2, 2012.

1. TimG

TimG Active Member

[Jan 2, 2012]
    So after the antics of a headlight bulb blowing on Saturday and literally starting to burn after it had blown, smoke and everything coming from the headlight (to the extent I has to stop and disconnect the bulb as I was worried it would catch alight!), a break light has blown out now.

No problem normally, but is it just me or is removing the rear cluster nigh on impossible? Why make it so hard just to change a bloody bulb!I have literally put my entire body weight behind removing the tail light and it wont budge! It cant be that hard as loads of you lot have changed your tail lights [​IMG]

Does it hinge on anything or are there just clips holding it in place?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. willowsdad

willowsdad Sideways

[Jan 2, 2012]
    I replaced a bulb a little while ago, and tbh it was proper stiff. I thought I was doing it wrong, so went back to the manual a few times. Rather than just brute force wiggle it about a bit, I think they get a bit stiff if they've been left for a while. The back edge pulls out to the side as you lever it off, rather than straight towards the back of the car. Just mind the screwdriver on your paint work.
  4. cloughy

cloughy Member

[Jan 2, 2012]
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the photo there are 2 metal nipples which need to come out, that's what is holding the cluster on tight, where these nipples are once you have a gap big enough just force your fingers in and gently make the gap bigger, this will pull the nipples out
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2014
  5. TimG

TimG Active Member

[Jan 2, 2012]
    Awesome, exactly the photo I needed, thanks!
  6. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

[Jan 2, 2012]
    haha mine are always a pain to come out too as said just wiggle it about a bit they usually come out
  7. Lings

Lings Active Member

[Jan 2, 2012]
    Barsteward to work on .Just how Audi like it!!!