OK, need some more advice!! :(

Steve_D

Reaction score
Well i rebuild one of my rear calipers... Good news it went really well :laugh:

But after i bled them the pedal doesnt seem like it did before, it goes travels a bit further and feels somewhat... "less brake effective"

Its hard to try and say what i mean, so you guys know the solution / problem..

How we bled the brakes was... make sure the reservoir was full then, put a pipe on the nipple leading into a bottle with some fluid in. open the bleed nipple and sowley press the pedal, over and over again until no bubbles came out, then closed the nipple. Was this correct or... should the brake pedal be pumped so its hard, open the nipple so the pedal travels, close the nipple and repeat?

My car has ESP (well it has a light that comes on at start up and goes off) and ABS. 1999 A4.

Now dont get me wrong the car stops.. but i feel as though i have to press further to stop it and it doesnt feel fight at all!!

the fluid that came out of it was fowl.. dark green looking

you should slowl press pedel and as doing so open nipple, before you get to bottom travel you close the nipple, then pedel up and repeat. its easy with a one man bleed kit. also im sure esp equipped vechiles need the pump put though a bleed phase, done via vcds.

its possible theres still air.
if its a crappy colour id change the whole lot.
best way is to take it to a place like ats euro master they only charge £20 for empty and refill and they use vacuum to create a perfect bleed.

alot easier then the ball ache of all the up and down and bleeding. ive had to do a full refil and rebleed, took a good hour or so going round and round the system, if i had to do it again i would take it to them.

Start with rear passenger, then rear drivers, then front passenger, then front drivers, or you'll be there all day :) hope this helps!

cheers for the help guys, yesterday i reblead the rears again.. the correct way! and all seems to be fine now... but when i went to bleed the fronts the bleed nipple was Solid and a bit corroded, was already partially rounded off so filed it down to a very tight fit for a 10mm socket, and snapped the head off the thing! :wtf:

So whats my options now? New caliper for the front i guess lol

you have a few options

replace caliper

try and get a tool called easy out. you drill a pilot hole then the tool has a reverse thread, this back the broken bolt out, or nipple in your case

see if you can cut a slot and use a flat head, but this will unlikely work as the diameter of the nipple is small so you wont get enough force to turn

or carefully drill out the nipple, its softer then the caliper, then once you have the nipple drilled out you should be able to break the thin wall thats left.

or a machine shop might be able to do any of the above for you

Cheers guys, think i may try getting it out... but see what you think from this pic.. its pretty well stuck in there, other half is just on top of the slider pin

DSCF1735

If its on the ATE calipers i have a spare set you can have for much cheapness.

Going from the biggred site, ATE calipers have 15mm disks and GIR have 25mm disks, i have the ATE's... what would you be after for them?

Model Type Year
From / To
Wheel Man Qty
Pis
Disk
Width

01/10/1994

To

01/09/2001
Front

ATE

01/04/1995