1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, it needs chipping, but which one?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3BeemerBeater, Mar 23, 2004.

1. S3BeemerBeater

S3BeemerBeater Member

Right then!

Having read through a hell of a lot of old threads I have three conclusions:

1. Me S3 needs chipping!

2. Me S3 needs chipping!!

3. Me S3 needs chipping!!!

What appeals to me is a 'software' rather than 'hardware' solution that I can cut the power back to standard/near standard to stop 'She who must be obeyed' from wrapping it my baby (and her good self!) around a lap-post (and of course any benefit in putting one over Audi in warranty and insurance is purely coincidental!).

So, here's the avid reader's chance to supply 2 peneth worth of wisdom as to which system to go for! Front runners in my mind are Revo SPS3 and AmD one click. Pros and cons and a price for the one click (if anyone has actually got it yet) greatly received for consideration!

Cheers,

Roger

PS

Anyone in the Bournemouth/Poole area willing to let me have a go on the Upton bypass for the price of a pint? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. cyuen

cyuen Member

hhm.. may i suggest there is a GB for AmD at the moment, probably good time to buy
  3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    cyuen said:
    hhm.. may i suggest there is a GB for AmD at the moment, probably good time to buy

[/ QUOTE ]
    GB meaning Group Buy for the newbie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  4. simont

simont Member

Gambba, maybe a suggestion here is to turn your info into a sticky type of post..
  5. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

Unfortunately it's not for me to decide on that, and it would only work if I can constantly update it.

Drill made a great publisher file of it and it looked the dogs, and would be nice as a sticky post.

TS had ideas to make the list sticky, but it hasn't happened yet.
  6. cybrey

cybrey Member

btw gambba the contact info link for Jabba don't work .. :p
  7. mazzy

mazzy Member

what chips gives you loads n loads torque and which is right the way thru the rev range.

C'mon u guys a good explanation and not summit like "its up 2 u"

Thanx
  8. mazzy

mazzy Member

oh summit 2 make the passengers shut up n b sick maybe but outta the window not in da S3 ;-)

Something that can be used as a device 2 shut da missus up!!

What u reckon?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif
  9. Drill

Drill Member

Well, the Oettinger remap on the A3's has a nice smooth power delivery. Close to stock feel, just with more power/torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Whereas, from what I've heard and by their graphs, the MTM conversion gives a big boost in mid-range torque, but the drawback is that it tapers off at higher rpm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  10. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    revdup said:
    what chips gives you loads n loads torque and which is right the way thru the rev range.

C'mon u guys a good explanation and not summit like "its up 2 u"

Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you should be focussed on torque to choose your chip anyway, this is what you use everyday.

I choose Oettinger because of the claimed torque figures being higher than that of every other chip I looked at, way higher in fact. And when getting the chip I was told that the figure quoted was the minimum that they would expect to see, and is proven by Drill's rolling road graph. Going up against an A3T with the same mods but with an AmD chip was the icing for me, proving that the torque was good. Against chipped S3's I can also say the torque proves it point /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

And even though you don't want to hear it the choice is really up to you, and is a matter of gut feeling I feel.
  11. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

My S3 has been remapped by AmD with good results. Printouts claim 267bhp and 300lbs/ft torgue. Notice I said claim - many people think AmD "bump" up the figures by as much as 10bhp and 20lbs/ft torque.

I for one cannot comment on this, but I am more than happy with the performance of my car compared the standard and would recommend the AmD treatment to anyone... not just for the increase in performance, but more importantly customer service.

I purchased my S3 on Friday 19 December 2003 and I had been booked into AmD for 3pm to have it remapped. Due to roadworks and wrong turnings, I never made it to Bicester until 5:30pm (AmD close at 6pm).

Even though the weekend beckoned, they were still willing to remap my car as they were finishing of a guys Mk4 Golf 1.8T which included a turbo upgrade!

My car was ready about 8pm and I went for a test drive with the guy with the Golf. That was the first time I was scared! The difference was unbelievable! I decided to stay to see the finished Golf and boy was it worth it. His car was finished at 9:30pm and wheelspinned in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, back to my car... full boost is maintained up to about 5500/6000 rpm and I feel the power delivery is smooth.

The only other remapped S3 I have driven is Glen's (Ess_Three). To be honest, I found very little difference between my car and Glen's, although Glen maintains that he still feels his car is slightly quicker - probably due to the endless list of mods that he has done, such as modified airbox, Milltek full system including sports cats, FMIC etc.

To be honest, whoever you go to you won't be disappointed. I recommend AmD because my car has been AmD'd and I'm delighted with the results.

S3BeemerBeater, with you being from Bournemouth, a trip up to AmD in Bicester, Oxfordshire ain't that far of a trek! Even if it's just to suss them out!
  12. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Imola S3 said:
    My S3 has been remapped by AmD with good results. Printouts claim 267bhp and 300lbs/ft torgue. Notice I said claim - many people think AmD "bump" up the figures by as much as 10bhp and 20lbs/ft torque.

I for one cannot comment on this, but I am more than happy with the performance of my car compared the standard and would recommend the AmD treatment to anyone... not just for the increase in performance, but more importantly customer service.

I purchased my S3 on Friday 19 December 2003 and I had been booked into AmD for 3pm to have it remapped. Due to roadworks and wrong turnings, I never made it to Bicester until 5:30pm (AmD close at 6pm).

Even though the weekend beckoned, they were still willing to remap my car as they were finishing of a guys Mk4 Golf 1.8T which included a turbo upgrade!

My car was ready about 8pm and I went for a test drive with the guy with the Golf. That was the first time I was scared! The difference was unbelievable! I decided to stay to see the finished Golf and boy was it worth it. His car was finished at 9:30pm and wheelspinned in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Anyway, back to my car... full boost is maintained up to about 5500/6000 rpm and I feel the power delivery is smooth.

The only other remapped S3 I have driven is Glen's (Ess_Three). To be honest, I found very little difference between my car and Glen's, although Glen maintains that he still feels his car is slightly quicker - probably due to the endless list of mods that he has done, such as modified airbox, Milltek full system including sports cats, FMIC etc.

To be honest, whoever you go to you won't be disappointed. I recommend AmD because my car has been AmD'd and I'm delighted with the results.

S3BeemerBeater, with you being from Bournemouth, a trip up to AmD in Bicester, Oxfordshire ain't that far of a trek! Even if it's just to suss them out!

[/ QUOTE ]

You wont go far wrong with AmD. Excellent customer service, and always good results. My A3 has been chipped for over a year now, with not a single problem to date.

Rich
  13. cyuen

cyuen Member

ahha sounds like one happy customer

can't complain all thumbs up
  14. mazzy

mazzy Member

id rather buy an rs4!!
  15. mazzy

mazzy Member

so wats the diff between generic etc. I dont wanna spend 2 much but want power.. i woz thinking of a remap de-cat and induction, wat else can help?
  16. cyuen

cyuen Member

basically they will do a "custom" remap on your ECU, they will look at all the variables and decide what is best for your car. Rather than just fitting a chip that will work in all cars (and putting out lower levels hence its safe for every car)

Yeh , i think you need RS4 injectors (i think) to get it to 300hp
  17. mazzy

mazzy Member

i hear the AmD GB has been cancelled, shame ey i woz gonna go for it. Gonna go for the AmD custom 1.

How much ruffly?
  18. cyuen

cyuen Member

the group buy i set up is still up n running.

only have price on generic, will get a price on custom when they open on Monday