1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil top up

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by terrymcg, Oct 16, 2007.

1. terrymcg

terrymcg Member

I was driving to work this morning and the yellow oil warning came on my DIS to say that my level was low. Don't know how as I check it quite regular. Anyway, so when I checked it, it was on the minumum mark. How much oil would normally be needed to fix this? As I banged in 0.5 of a litre and it now appears to be a bit above the max. Only a tiny bit.

Do you reckon 0.5 a litre was too much? The dipstick aint the easiest thing to read with all the funny shapes on it! Whats wrong with a flat one with min and max on?!!?

Terry
  2. phil1978

phil1978 Member

I could be completely wrong here, but I always thought the difference between the min and max was about a litre of oil . . . . I'm sure it was on my last few cars.

Is yours the twisted metal stranded dipstick or the pressed metal dipstick Terry???
  3. BigRD

BigRD Member

My 7 month old A4 oil low warning light came on last night and I was a bit surprised. I've had the car since the end of March '08 and covered 3.5k miles so wasn't expecting it. I checked the oil level after an hour since turning off and the level was just below the mid point on the dipstick. This morning the light didn't come on but on the way home tonight it came on whilst on the M'way. I went straight to Stirling Audi who were very good. They advised that the 2.0TDi will on average go through approx 1ltr/1200 miles so I had done alright but they would check the car out anyway. The mechanic took the car in there and then and removed the engine bay panels and checked for leaks etc, checked for fault codes then added a litre of oil. All reported OK. They also gave me a litre away too.

I hadn't expected this modern diesel to use so much oil as my last BMWs never needed topping up at anytime and were changed at service times.

Are others experincing the same?
  4. kev69

kev69 New Member

A litre every 1200 miles!!! or do you mean 12000 miles.

I've had my 2.0 TDI Quattro since September last year. It had it's 18,000 mile service last month and I only used the 1 litre top up can supplied in all that time. Got them to top up the empty container at the last service.
  5. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

A litre every 1200 miles is probably the lowest threshold Audi have set. They wont do any remedial work unless consumption is worse than that figure.

I'd be pretty annoyed if mine was that bad though, currently mine uses 1 litre per 10,000 miles.
  6. BigRD

BigRD Member

They said 1200 miles. Obviously I'm not happy with that figure but don't know the history of the cars 1st 5 months of use. It may be that the missing litre has been used since new - current mileage is 8.8k

I'll keep an eye on oil over the next few weeks and see what happens.