1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil temperature higher and idle tick

PaulJC84 Aug 12, 2017

1. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Taken the car on its first decent run in years yesterday. Edinburgh to Plockton and then up to Applecross and back to Plockton.

If my memory correct I think the normal oil temp is around 90C.

At points on the Applecross Pass the oil was up at 120C and would be mainly around 100C.

Today I noticed on start up the car sounds a bit ticky at idle and low revs on start up. The car was hot and I had the door open.
    I am sure under hard boost with the window down the turbo sounds a bit louder too.

Any ideas?

Blocked sump pickup or a gasket leak?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Samuel c5 Q

Samuel c5 Q Active Member Silver Supporter

Check the coolant temps, in intake temps and ambient temps. Service history? Oil condition? Water pump condition?

3. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

I have had the car since 18k and it's almost on 99k now. Oil changed every 5k or year whichever comes first.
    Coolant temp stayed at 90C but I know there is a lag on the gauge.
    Belts and water pump are due at the end of this year as were done 4.5 years ago. Probably only 10k miles ago max.

4. Samuel c5 Q

The rise in oil temp would be from more heat energy in the oil possibly from increased internal frictions due to engine wear. The grade of oil has changed with lighter oils accepting heat more quickly than it can get rid of it meaning the overall temperature remains higher than before. Lastly the heat exchanger, the oil cooler has become furred or blocked up to a degree and can't exchange it's heat as readily to the coolant as it used to and so the oil temperature stays higher than previously. Ambient temperature and loading will also affect this heat exchanging process giving a less of temperature difference for the oil to exchange heat to. This can raise the average temperature level of the oil over a prolonged duration of operation.

5. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Actually driving today I think the gauge sender is perhaps faulty. Jumped right up to 140C and I was like oh no. After a minute it fell straight down to 80C in one sweep. Seems to be moving around anywhere from 120C to 80c generally on flat routes.

The ticking seems to be at start up for maybe 5 seconds so will need to see what that is.
    Thinking strainer, gasket leak or cam tensioner.

6. Samuel c5 Q

Get the vag com on it and it should tell you the proper oil temp.

The rattling could be the cam chain tensioner or the cat on it's way out.

7. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

Whilst the coolant temp gauge should sit at around 90C, engine manufacturers design (standard) modern engines to run oil temps typically 100C - 120C in order to 1) Drive off potentially harmful internal water vapour caused by the combustion process 2) minimise emissions (a hot engine is a clean burning engine) and 3) to provide maximum lubrication/power as cold engine oil produces "drag". Normal (standard) synthetic engine oils can cope with up to 150C with racing engines requiring something more special.

8. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Ah cool. I was sure the oil normally sat around 90C. Just nursing the car home as off boost as possible to hopefully avoid as much damage as possible.
    Not had an oil pressure light so pressure hopefully that is ok.
    Car seems to tick on start up when cold and then when it's been really hot.
    Will get it checked out during the week hopefully.
    Think I will check the turbo shaft, oil strainer and scan the car.

9. Lowfield

Lowfield Member

All my Audis have "ticked" when stationary. Especially heard with window down and parked next to a wall or other stationary car in traffic. I always assumed it was the injectors.

10. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

View live coolant temp data using the climate control panel:

Press recirc and up arrow together
    display shows 1c
    use temp +/- to make it say 49c
    Press recirc again.

The display will now show you the live engine temperature.

Could be something like a cracked water pump if it is running hot.

11. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Well oil light eventually came on for a second. Pulled in and waiting for a flatbed to take the car to a garage near me.
    Hopefully not too much damage has been done!
    Engine was ticking louder but not as bad as the ones I have heard on YouTube.

12. aragorn

If you stopped immediately it'll probably be fine. When i killed my track car engine it beeped two or three times and i kept stopping and then going back out. I had no oil pressure guage and stupidly assumed it was a faulty sensor as i'd replaced the pump already. Third time i got bored of stopping and kept going when the warning came on. A lap later it siezed. Turned out, some hard carbon debris had become detatched from the inside of the engine and made its way into the sump, where it gathered up in the pickup gauze. Despite it siezing, i swapped the turbo onto the replacement engine and it worked fine.

Also, fit a new oil pump, dont just mess with cleaning the strainer. Its such an **** to get into on the B5, its not worth doing half a job.

13. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Cheers for the advice guys.

So got the car to a mates garage. Checked the oil level and since yesterday morning it's about half a litre lower.

Put in some oil and one of the mechanics started the car. It tapped for around 3 seconds and then was normal. Was quite smokey though.

Left the car there but I am wondering if it's the turbo. Going to check the shaft for play tomorrow.

Also sounded like the manifold was blowing slightly.

If I need a new turbo I then have to think if I want to change it for a different one but first things first.

So when the sump is off I should get the oil pump replaced as well as the strainer?

14. aragorn

The turbo wouldnt magically bring on the oil light. Theres without doubt an oil pressure issue, and that means replacing the pump. Theres no point just doing the strainer on a B5. Its a complete **** getting the sump off unlike a transverse engine, so when your in there just do it properly. You also cant buy the strainer on its own for a B5, it comes with the pump.

And its almost always fine when cold. The oils thick and pressure comes up just fine. Half a litre of oil wouldnt matter at all, i've run mine down off the dipstick before with no issues. Even my siezed engine unsiezed itself and ran completely normally when cold. No noises or rattles, if i hadnt known better i'd have thaught it was fine. I fitted an oil pressure guage and while the oil pressure was perfect when cold, once it warmed up the pressure dropped off, and started acting very oddly. Took the sump off and one of the big ends had spun.

15. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Ok thanks for the info. I would certainly have replace everything I need to when it's opened up.

Any idea of the part number of the pump and strainer?

Just hope after doing that things are ok and it's not done any other damage.

16. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

So car has been sitting in the workshop for 3 weeks and garage finally had a quick look at the car.

They whipped the airbox to turbo hose off to have a quick check in there and there was quite a lot of oil. There is a bit of play in the shaft for that as well.

The turbo was sounding a bit louder on boost.

Would it be possible for the oil pressure light to come on if the turbo started drinking lots of oil?

Still planning on getting the sump checked but the garage think its the turbo. Don't really want to fit a new one and it to be damaged if there is another issue.

Also as the turbo is going to need replacing. What is the best option? Hybrid, rebuild, new?

17. Samuel c5 Q

Sump, pump and lump.

Just sounded good. Roughly put what Aragon said. Oil pump and strainer.

Turbo will need refurbished. Max end float is 0.2mm absolute max and the tolerance that is recommended is 0.15mm.

Compression test for the block might highlight damage but would it cause anymore damage? Turn the engine by hand to check for rough spots.

18. PaulJC84

PaulJC84 Owner

Thanks, definitely going to get the sump cleared and a new pump.

Spoke to BBT and they no longer do A4 turbos, just A3. Think I will just get a refurbed K03 on it. Euros seem to do them for around £400. Will replace the oil feed and gaskets at the same time.

19. Samuel c5 Q

Bore scope will let you inspect the cylinder chambers before you fork out a load I dough. Test the coolant for exhaust as well. Have to go now.