oil temp when doing hard driving

tigger8888

Reaction score
All,

Mine has been hoovering between 101 to 105'c when driving it quite hard like to hear what other S3 owners are getting similar temp?

I was on a track day and it hit 120-125'c ish then the car went into limp mode and couldn't put any power down. When it dropped back to 110'c the power came back anybody had this experience?

Have experienced this yeah. I'm usually high 90's when driving around casually with traffic, between 103-108 with hard driving. Have seen it as high as 114 when really giving it some through some open one way country lanes..

Have been told by my dealer that this is not an issue (mentioned it when vehicle was in for health check, technician responded on the afterwork form).

All,

Mine has been hoovering between 101 to 105'c when driving it quite hard like to hear what other S3 owners are getting similar temp?

I was on a track day and it hit 120-125'c ish then the car went into limp mode and couldn't put any power down. When it dropped back to 110'c the power came back anybody had this experience?

I have a track day coming up Tuesday will let you know...

Reactions: tigger8888
Usually around 96-99. My highest so far is 108 and my car is 900 miles in.

103-105 seems to be normal full temp with the odd peak at 106.

I have a track day coming up Tuesday will let you know...

Thanks all for the reply mine about 100ish so all normal just different story on the track probably too much for it....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-24-19-15-18.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-24-19-15-18.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 393
Reactions: Wondering Soul
Thanks all for the reply mine about 100ish so all normal just different story on the track probably too much for it....

nice colour !, ... will see how it likes the track or not.

All,

Had my track day today, it was fun, mainly good, but the engine temperature reached 115 deg.C. and stayed there, the ambient temperature was about 21 deg.C. The track was a combo of tight uphill corners and some high speed stuff, so the engine was working hard.

Reactions: tigger8888
Normal operating temp appears to be 102-106c. This is cruising on the motorway using little to no boost.

For those quoting 101-105 after a hard drive, you're clearly not driving it hard enough ;) After a thrashing and into triple figures you're looking at 115-125c

Reactions: tektrob and elpaulio
Heres my experience. I recently tuned my car and temperature started acting different. Before the tune, I would easily reach 110 after some spirited driving in the city, nothing extreme. Normally it would sit around 105-110. After getting tuned with APR, temp is noticeably lower. The highest ive seen after driving pretty hard is 106 and it normally sits around 98-102.

Reactions: rigger
My car is around 105-106c though it only has about 150 miles on the clock. Highest I've seen is 113c in traffic.

This is a daft question but where is the temperature gauge in s3 from memory when I test drove car i remember fuel gauge and boost gauge but no temperature?

You have to go to lap timer in DIS, or if you have VCDS you can code it in so it's always there

Reactions: Wondering Soul
This is a daft question but where is the temperature gauge in s3 from memory when I test drove car i remember fuel gauge and boost gauge but no temperature?
The water temperature gauge was sacrificed (for the boost gauge) because the core water temperature warms up so quickly after start - and you get an alarm light if it should ever overheat. But the oil temperature is much more indicative of the engine's state, and this is viewable on the DIS trip computer's lap timer page.

My car reached around 114 in traffic, literally first gear crawl for 2 hours around the city. Usually around 102 and up to 110 when giving a few fast pulls.

One point to add, is that the car felt really rough and a bit juddery when pulling away from stationary when at the high temp mentioned above which was odd and I will monitor.

Anyone else had this rough feeling after either high temp or long periods on traffic?

Heres my experience. I recently tuned my car and temperature started acting different. Before the tune, I would easily reach 110 after some spirited driving in the city, nothing extreme. Normally it would sit around 105-110. After getting tuned with APR, temp is noticeably lower. The highest ive seen after driving pretty hard is 106 and it normally sits around 98-102.

Mine too.
It is common with APR. I had it also with my mk6 GTI.