1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oil sump removal

Cam Jan 18, 2012

1. Cam

Cam Member

I own a 1999 model audi a4 1.8t quattro.
    I need to remove the sump as oil pressure warning light is flashing. According to haynes repair manual a engine hoist is needed to do this job. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove sump without a engine hoist. Any advice etc would be appreciated.

2. Metro

Metro Error

I know the A3 1.8t engine is just a case of axel stands/ramp to get to it underneath, very simple, Haynes manuals tend to over do things, take the sump guard off and take a look under your car, I'm 99% sure it will be the same. There's a thread on sump removal on an s3 on here, check it out.

3. Metro

Metro Error

4. Cam

Cam Member

Thanks for your reply. it looks similar but would also like to hear from someone who has removed sump from 1999 a4 quattro as i dont want to start the job then realise i havent got the correct equipement.

5. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

You need to lift the engine off the engine mounts, remove full front end and snub mount and jack/lift the engine to allow the sump to pass over the subframe iirc have done it on a 1.8 ADR which is basically the same but none turbo, A3 is a lot easier as the engine is transverse.

6. Cam

Cam Member

Did you lift the engine with a trolley jack or engine hoist?

7. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

8. Cam

Cam Member

please explain how

9. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

Click on the purple writing and it will tell you how!

10. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Well I had the car on a two post and used a transmission jack minus the cradle to jack the engine on the a/c pump mounting bracket which gave enough clearance to remove the sump.

11. Cam

Cam Member

Thankyou for your help

12. Metro

Metro Error

I apologize for bad info mate, same thing happened with mine, red oil can of doom! Guess I should have looked into it first! Good luck with the repair!