1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil spray on bonnet near offside headlight

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by madvw, Jun 13, 2006.

1. madvw

madvw Active Member

Okay, things seem to keep breaking at the moment...

I took in my S3 for a warranty replacement of the alarm siren (it was bleeping 4 times every morning), which they did. They said that they couldn't find any DTC's, but as I only had 1 day left on my warranty, they'd swap it anyway.

However, I also asked them to look at what i thought was oil spray on the bonnet.

They came back to be saying that they had checked all around that area, and not found a leak. They said that the spray was likely to be tree sap.

Okay. I'm kind of sure that tree sap isn't brown and oily.... and it doesnt spray up the bonnet when driving... So slap number 1 to Audi i'm afraid.

Has anybody any knowledge of any particular weak points in the hoses to check?

I've got a nasty suspicion that it's going to be a minute split somewhere, as performance isn't noticeably imparied, and the spray only appears after giving it some beans.. that, or its a small puncture in an intercooler...

any pointers to check first before i rip the wheel liner and bumper off? :confused:
  2. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Check the dipstick is in properly! May be that, but there are a few places it can be around there. Wipe it clean, and keep an eye on it.

Rich
  3. madvw

madvw Active Member

Will do. The trouble is that theres so much on that side in the way, like expansion tank, washer bottle, headlight, brake fluid tank etc etc...

the annoying thing is thats theres no oil spray anywhere visible on any of these components, in or around the engine bay, on the underside of the bonnet or even any spray to suggest where the spray starts!!

it just covers almost a perfect circle on and around the offside headlamp and outside surfance of the bonnet!!

I'm stumped withough getting the socket set out...
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

Okay, a bit more information....

I have now jacked up the car and pulled away the front and rear of the wheelarch liner. - ps, for those that havent looked behind the rear of the front wheelarch liner do it! there were handfulls of mud, leaves and dead bugs in there - not good.

anyway, checked offside chargecooler. No oil, no hint of oil or leak anywhere around cooler. From the front of the car i looked up into the engine bay from underneath. No oil spray, no leaks, nothing.

However, i can just see traces of oil between the skins of the engine bay, and the metal above the wheelarch, somewhere i can't get to..

so it possible that the oil here is from a shock absorber? Theres no oil on the shaft of the damper, on the springs or anywhere else though...