Oil sludge issue repaired, Car down on power though

duffy78

Reaction score
So it looks like my oil pressure issue due to the sludge has caused some additional problems, most likely with the turbo. The car is noticably down on power now so at present am assuming that the turbo bearings have been damaged due to lack of oil for the short time the oil pressure was down. I'm a bit pee'd off tbh.

Car going back to my local indy next week to try and find out exactly what the problem is and how much £££'s it's going to cost.

Does anybody know anywhere to get K03s turbos from?

So it looks like my oil pressure issue due to the sludge has caused some additional problems, most likely with the turbo. The car is noticably down on power now so at present am assuming that the turbo bearings have been damaged due to lack of oil for the short time the oil pressure was down. I'm a bit pee'd off tbh.

Car going back to my local indy next week to try and find out exactly what the problem is and how much £££'s it's going to cost.

Does anybody know anywhere to get K03s turbos from?
Could you please tell me how you can tell if you have sludge buildup. It's just that someone told me that it may be the case with my car but I don't get any oil light on etc.
all I get is a slight noise from the hydraulic tappets which I suspect are sticky due to lack of use when I start the car up.

Only way to tell for sure is to whip the sump off and inspect the inside and the pick up pipe.

I think I may be imagining the loss of power, the car certainly has no trouble keeping up with traffic, I filled up with 95ron instead of the usual 99ron petrol so that may have something to do with it.

Going to get the boost checked just to be certain.

Last edited:
didnt your local indi think to check the turbo while the car was in bits ?
qst think i do when a cars gone down with oil preasure light is check the turbo out cos its usaly ****ed

Thanks.

He just checked oil pressure afaik.

Just checked online and I can check boost pressure using the Ross tech vcds lite software. I can check requested boost vs actual boost so I'll be doing that tonight after work.

I'll report back the results.

Looks like I won't be checking the boost unless I buy a license for £66, the shareware version of the software only has limited function.

Ok so i've definately over reacted with the turbo issue. I'm putting it all down to using 95 ron instead of 99ron petrol as the car boosts fine. well for the most part lol.

I ended up shelling out the 99$ for vcds-lite (ross tech/vagcom) last night and have had it running checking the ECU call for boost against the actual boost supplied by the turbo. Ive turned the data logger info into a nifty graph which shows part of my journey to work this morning. Each value is approx 25 seconds apart, you can see that the actual boost follows the call for boost pretty closely give or take a bit of turbo lag.

The only problem that i can see is that the turbo is not making full boost request, maxing out at around 9.5psi. I'm looking online now to find out what max boost it should top out at but i'm guessing it should be making about 11psi as that i what the ECU is calling for in certain instances.

I dont think the difference is enough for it to be a boost leak in any of the pipes and the N75 was changed not long before i bought the car so it wont be that. The car is still on the original DV valve at 99k miles so this is a good enough excuse to swap that out for a forge 007.

I'll be messing more with the VCDS lite in the coming days so expect some more funky graphs!!!

245-page-0011.jpg