Oil pump failure

imz

Reaction score
11 at night driving down the M6 and thump bang and the rest of it.

3 in the morning and now sat in AA recovery truck second of the night only to be told will be moved onto another an hour or so down the road.

Oil pump failed and blew the engine with a conrod putting a hole in it.

My advice spend the money and get it sorted on the BLB. I thought it wouldn't happen to me and look where I am now.

So what's the advice, chop it or go for another engine and if so where from? If the latter can I convert the manual to auto?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost 5 in morning now and sat in third recovery truck and this time it's some old crap one, part of AA's partner network. Even this one will only drop me part way. Still at least it has a working engine. Lol. What a day.

nightmare mate, any sign's before it went or was it just sudden

In all honesty it was rattling but I thought that was the dmf. Also when starting for first time in day whether morning or night used to get plummets of smoke from exhaust so may be oil building up in exhaust. Though that was happening since my turbo was replaced so was putting it down to that, however there was much more smoke recently.

Other than that nothing all happened so quick could even put the drill into practice of switching off engine immediately as conrod went before oil pressure light came on.

mate its real unlucky, more so to be at that time of day and by the look of it so far from home, i'd fit a new engine but thats just me, i love my car so i'd want it back on the road asap. what year is yours

Mines a 55 and in all honesty do love the car. Any ideas on where to source the engine mate?

How long ago was the turbo replaced ?

It's usually a sign of lower than normal oil pressure experienced for some time that expires the turbo first before total pressure loss .

I wonder if the hex drive or sprocket teeth went because the chain tensioner had broke a little while ago ?

Turbo blew approximately 18 months ago.

It's quite possible what you say. Just not sure which way to go about getting to bottom of it now.

If someone can recommend where to get another engine that would be most appreciated.

Got in and parked up at 7:45 and now on my way to work, by train of course, so be patient plz.

How would I know if the turbo has blown without getting down and checking? Would there have been smoke through exhaust as well or is it more thank likely dead?

If someone can recommend where to get another engine that would be most appreciated.

It's tricky cause you want a BLB converted to gear with remanufactured modified balancer shaft & 100mm hex key , a gear driven that's been changed to the remanufactured modified balancer shaft & 100mm key set up or one that doesn't have twin Lancaster balancer shafts at all and has the old reliable 1.9 style chain drive like BKD , AZV and BMN.

Depending on where you are based to speak to volksmania in bristol, brother in law steve is the guy to talk to, always got some good blocks going. Being a diesel i'm not in the know like gazwould, but pretty sure a they'll get you a solid engine at a good price

Nightmare!
I deleted the balance shaft on my blb engine as I had heard of the problems. Seems the Yanks do a lot of this mod on their cars but they have a slightly different engine to the UK blb.
If you do get another engine and want some info on the balance shaft delete then send me a message and I'll try and help. It's not an expensive job, just a pain to drop the subframe, replace the crank cog and remove some fins in the sump, if you are removing the engine then it's a no brainer. A new uprated oil pump will cost you a lot of money , that and a replacement engine is probably more than your car is worth.

When I said a "new uprated oil pump" will cost you a lot of money, I meant the oil pump which is readily available to buy which includes the balance shafts is expensive.
I removed blb oil pump which included balance shafts and installed a brand new pump from another engine which did not include the balance shafts, this was a whole lot cheaper to buy.
Sorry if there was any confusion.