oil problem!

dann959

Reaction score
last thursday while driving over 55mph on the highway i noticed a shuttering effect on my car almost as if driving into a strong headwind, but after i slowed down it went away, the same thing occured on friday when i was again on the highway, but with local driving there was no shuttering, coming home on friday i noticed a small puddle of oil in the driveway, so i popped the hood and found a lot of oil splashed around by the oil filter, i also saw oil dripping from the filter. I had recently done an oil change about two weeks earlier, and must confess i used a purolater filter, (but i had not had any problems with them on my old vw before). I was wondering how the hell this could have happened after quickly shutting off the engine. There were no oil warning lights or anything that came on. Anyway I was forced to do an oil change, so i picked up an oem mann filter. when i drained the oil, there was only about a quart and a half left. Crap! how come the lights didnt go off. I am still wondering what the hell happend and am praying there was no invisible internal damage. We have had below zero weather and i was wondering if the purolater filter might not have been able to stand up to the temps, and that why it was leaking. Anyway my car seems fine but my mind is still not secure. Does anyone have an analysis or recomendations? If you have any questions please ask. also after analyzing the purolater filter and the oem mann filter i must say i will always go with an oem filter because its much heavier and seems much stronger.

I don't know if this is related, but I took my a4 1.8 to a shop that only does oil changes because they were one of the cheaper places. They informed me when I picked up the car that there is a collar where the oil filter screws on that was loose and it was leaking oil around the filter. I asked them if they could just tighten it up for me, and they said that they weren't a mechanic shop and that they couldn't! (I never went there again) Anyway, it was a very substantial leak so I took it back to my mechanic and had them do another oil change and tighten up that collar, (I guess all it takes is a turn with a wrench when the filter is off) he said I likely would have gone through a quart a week with that kind of a leak.

This collar might be something to check into, cause apparently some shops won't tighten the stupid things up!
Good luck with it!

its been 5 days now without any problems and the car seems to be running fine. No oil has been lost, and i'm continuously feeling around the oil filter for any leaks, none! I will however look into this collar, maybe some after market filters dont adapt well to it. I will never buy another non oem filter again, not only because i had a problem with one, but because when i compared the oem mann filter to the purolater brand, the it was like a tank vs a toy car. The oem filter just seems so much stronger and heavier duty, and its German.