Oil on spark plugs 2001 a4 1.8t +compression check results

Lancelane

Reaction score
First, would like to say I am new to Audi forums and would like to begin by thanking the community here at Audi-sport for creating a platform to speak.

That said, I was given a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t and it needs a few things worked on. Had to check the abs sensors for the braking issue I read was common. Found the front driver sensor to be failing.

Now I have to fix an issue of the spark plugs being covered in oil above the threads on the ceramic. Pretty much the first three were pretty bad with the last one being rather clean.

I went ahead and ran a compression test prior to getting to deep into pulling the valve cover or anything else apart and am not really sure what to make of the results. I figured one of you knowledgeable fellas might be able to help me understand what they mean.

So I have the results numbered from cylinder one to four(one being front and four being rear of the motor)

Number one hit 200psi
Number two 185psi,
Number three 190psi
Number four 190psi.

Curious what these results may be revealing. I already have a new valve cover gasket set on the way and not sure if I need to get the head off as well.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Speaking from experience, as I too had oil sitting around the spark plugs, simply change the rocker cover gasket.

Since I've done mine no more oil leaks .

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The compression looks OK. It's within a 10% variation band. Number one stands out and I wonder whether this was the result of a bit of oil in the cylinder (you have an oil leak problem) and that cylinder being the first you checked? Oil will raise the compression slightly temporarily. It's possible that when checking 2 to 4 the oil in those had leaked past the cylinders with their natural movement during the compression test?

As above. The oil is simply from the cam cover gasket.

Likely your highest compression was due to the oil dribbling down into the cylinder after you removed the plugs.

Reactions: Retroman