1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil on Ignition Coil

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Maz, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Maz

Maz Moon is made of green cheese

Hi all,

decided to do the N249 bypass today which I managed with ease thanks to the various guides on the forum.

Also managed to replace some perished hoses with some Forge items which was nice m easy.

Coil packs were also going to be replaced with some red top versions but I noticed a little oil on Coil 2 as I pulled it out and Coil 3 was dripping in the stuff.

Can any of you tell me why this has happened and what needs to be done to resolve it.

Thanks.
  2. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member

The cam cover gasket comes in two parts.

* One a long thin rubber ring which seals around he outer edge of the cam cover.
    *The other is a chain of rings which seals the cam cover around each of the spark plug/coil pack holes.

It will be the chain of rings gasket which will have gone hard and no longer sealing. New cam cover gasket required bud. Both gaskets come as a pair.

Link to eBay gasket
  3. Maz

Thanks bud,

I'll get on the phone to TPS tomorrow.

One small job, turns in to another and another...
  4. Maz

Do you think it is wise to replace the plugs as well?
  5. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member

Depends on how long they've been in there. I'd take the wet plugs out to clean the oil off them so if they haven't been changed in a while then you might as well tick another job off the list and fit new ones. :thumbsup: