Oil low indicator - just top oil up?

AK47UK

Reaction score
I have owned my audi since October, it is the 1.8 TFSI model. The oil was last changed by Audi in the service at 27k miles, that was in February. Today the oil low light came on, I guess I only need to top it up but I would like to buy the same oil that was used in the service. Am I right to get Castrol (as the oil cap is branded) or is it not a good idea to just top it up? I didn't want to mix two types of oil but equally I don't want to change the oil now if a service is coming up. I don't know what my service schedule is, I am just waiting for the indicator to tell me to have it done as I was led to believe that's how it works on these cars.

thanks

I have owned my audi since October, it is the 1.8 TFSI model. The oil was last changed by Audi in the service at 27k miles, that was in February. Today the oil low light came on, I guess I only need to top it up but I would like to buy the same oil that was used in the service. Am I right to get Castrol (as the oil cap is branded) or is it not a good idea to just top it up? I didn't want to mix two types of oil but equally I don't want to change the oil now if a service is coming up. I don't know what my service schedule is, I am just waiting for the indicator to tell me to have it done as I was led to believe that's how it works on these cars.

thanks

You can use any 5w/30 504.00/507.00 compliant oil.

Whether you want use Castrol, Helix or Quantum for example, it's up to you, but they are all the same.

Reactions: AK47UK
Thanks, so it doesn't matter which brand I use to top up my oil as long as it's a good brand? I didn't want to mix two together if it was going to cause a problem but I couldn't see a reason for a problem if good quality oil of the right spec was used. I am on the long life servicing.

Thanks, so it doesn't matter which brand I use to top up my oil as long as it's a good brand? I didn't want to mix two together if it was going to cause a problem but I couldn't see a reason for a problem if good quality oil of the right spec was used. I am on the long life servicing.

It can be literally any brand you like, but make sure it says 5w30 and importantly 504.00/507.00 specification.

Mixing different branded oils will not matter one bit, as they will be exactly the same grade.

Reactions: AK47UK
Thanks for that, I will probably be using Castrol (unless another top brand is significantly cheaper) but will ensure it is to the Audi spec :)

I have 4 litres of Castol Edge 5w30 coming, was £31 after delivery so decent deal. Petronas was slightly cheaper but for a few quid thought I'd stick with that the oil cap has on it even if Audi probably used cheaper stuff :D

I have 4 litres of Castol Edge 5w30 coming, was £31 after delivery so decent deal. Petronas was slightly cheaper but for a few quid thought I'd stick with that the oil cap has on it even if Audi probably used cheaper stuff :D

If i'd have known you were going to buy from the internet i could have sent you 5L of Castrol out for £25!!

Didn't realise that :p I thought carparts4less plus a 5% discount was going to be my best bet as Halfrauds are selling it for over £40. Good to know for next time I guess ;)

If i'd have known you were going to buy from the internet i could have sent you 5L of Castrol out for £25!!

Can you still do this bud? Need 5 litres of oil! :) PM ME!