oil light flashing on my 1.8t sport when i rev it

wee g

hi to all
Reaction score
when i rev it or pull away my oil light flashes at me when the turbo kicks in wat could this be plz help.

Stop driving the car or you WILL wreck the engine.

Usual cause is a build up of sludge blocking up the oil pump, caused by inadequate servicing.

As aragorn says DO NOT DRIVE take the sump off and check the pick up pipe check the turbo compressor by taking the inlet off for any movement you may find it's catching on the housing if it is it's goosed. Use 5w40's fully synth and be sure to service every 6-8k miles !!

TBH its probably already fubar if you've been boosting around with it like that.

Conrods will be making a bid for freedom next.

no have not been out in car since it happend was on way home when the light came on no ticks from top end but very bad sound from turbo when I reved it so not started from then

Ok. The dash ignores the oil pressure warning below 2000rpm. So you'll probably find that the pressure is low all the time, and your only getting a warning when you rev it or drive away becasue the engine then climbs over 2000rpm. Oil pressure increases with revs, so if its low enough to bring on the warning at 2k, its even lower at idle.

Its a stupid design, but thats what Audi did.

The usual cause is a blocked oil pickup. The cure is either to remove the sump and clean out the pickup, or remove the sump and replace the oil pump itself. Unfortunately that wont fix any of the damage that the low oil pressure has caused. By the sounds of it, your turbo has already seen the effects and the noise is likely due to its bearing having become damaged with the lack of oil.

At this point you have a choice, you can either fit a new/used turbo (preferably along with a new oil feed line) and fix/replace the oil pump and hope the rest of the engine has survived, or you simply replace the engine as a complete unit.

You will need to lift the engine up or drop the subframe off (or a combination of both) to get the sump past the subframe.

got it off with lifting the engine pick up blocked just going to change the pump to the turbo duz not hit at any point it has side to side movement no in or out play