Oil Level Warning Light

666markyboy

Reaction score
Hi Folks...... Is the Oil Level Warning Light on the 1.8t particularly sensitive ?? this morning on the way to work halfway up the motorway it poped on.... i slowed to a crawl for the rest of the way but when i checked the dip stick at work the level was halfway in between max and min is this normal ? as i wouldn't have thought the light would come on till it hit minimum..... i've got a litre of the same oil at home so hopefully it will go out once topped up it's never really used any oil in the past in fact it hasnt budged in 8,000 miles

Have to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge to confirm but I think the oil light also comes on for oil pressure, for instance if there is a partial blockage?

My opinion is get some more oil and top it up immediately without driving further as regardless of oil pressure or level you don't want it to be low on a turbo car (or any car for that matter). I don't think all A3s have oil level warnings, and also the level in my car seems very dependant as to whether it's on a dead flat surface or not which is a pain so I think mine is normally overfilled.

is there any way of reading the oil pressure via vagcom ???? thats one thing i really miss from my old coupe an oil pressure gauge

Well i'm confused now..... just driven home and it didn't come back on... gave it a good thrashing near home too just to be sure... i've now topped it up so all seems fine.... trouble is i've been going through my owners manual and i can't for the life of me find the symbol that popped up.... done the auto check thing and that symbol dosn't appear.... it was in the top half of the DIS and i'm sure it was a yellow oil can with a wavey line through it or under it.... nothing even remotely similar appears in the manual.... i can get a big red flashing oil can up... i pressume thats the pressure warning.... weird

I can't imagine the oil warning would be yellow more likely to be red, perhaps you saw something else.

You know i'm starting to think that myself..... all i can do is keep my eye on it.... i'm now looking to fit a pressure gauge though as i'm now paranoid..... whats the best way to approach this ? i've seen some sandwich plates that go between the oil filter and the block with take offs for oil preassure , temp etc.. has anyone used one of these or indeed fitted a preassure guage.... it dosn't need to be cabin mounted, under the bonnet would be fine... just to be able to check at times for peice of mind is what i'm after

Hope this helps matey, found it on the forums a while back and saved a copy.

Symbols.jpg

Exellent.... thanks Cowboy thats the one... "check oil level" it must be very sensitive then cos as in my first post the level was right in the middle of Min and Max on the dipstick..... i can sleep a little easier now .... thanks again... i'll keep a copy of that