1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak - smoke when pulling off

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by alex-qts, Jun 4, 2011.

1. alex-qts

alex-qts Member

[Jun 4, 2011]
    Car has started to smoke under idle much heavier now! The car only smokes when it has been sitting for 1min+ and is much worse when starting on a hill or the car is fully loaded.

Apart from this the car does not smoke at all, no start-up smoke, WOT...ect and has an almost new K04 turbo.

It does have quite a large amount of blow-by with blue smoke through the oil cap too, I found this post below while searching, no replies unfortunately.

I am fairly sure that this is the piston rings as I have been told this before but this PCV valve has got me thinking - do I really need an engine rebuild after all? Is there any way to really pinpoint this oil leak?

Thanks for any help!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 4, 2011]
    Was it a genuine Borg Warner turbo?

I would look at the one way valve under the inlet manifold, that could maybe cause high crankcase pressures if it's gummed up
  4. alex-qts

alex-qts Member

[Jun 4, 2011]
    I will have a look at the valve, maybe it is worth replacing to see if it makes a difference. the car always seems to smell like it is running too rich also.

Its an RP turbo, apparently they are pretty good, been on the car for over a year now without any problems. it was smoking before the new turbo was fitted so dont think that its the problem.