1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak - smoke when pulling off

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by alex-qts, Jun 4, 2011.

1. alex-qts

alex-qts Member

Car has started to smoke under idle much heavier now! The car only smokes when it has been sitting for 1min+ and is much worse when starting on a hill or the car is fully loaded.

Apart from this the car does not smoke at all, no start-up smoke, WOT...ect and has an almost new K04 turbo.

It does have quite a large amount of blow-by with blue smoke through the oil cap too, I found this post below while searching, no replies unfortunately.

I am fairly sure that this is the piston rings as I have been told this before but this PCV valve has got me thinking - do I really need an engine rebuild after all? Is there any way to really pinpoint this oil leak?

Thanks for any help!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Was it a genuine Borg Warner turbo?

I would look at the one way valve under the inlet manifold, that could maybe cause high crankcase pressures if it's gummed up

4. alex-qts

alex-qts Member

I will have a look at the valve, maybe it is worth replacing to see if it makes a difference. the car always seems to smell like it is running too rich also.

Its an RP turbo, apparently they are pretty good, been on the car for over a year now without any problems. it was smoking before the new turbo was fitted so dont think that its the problem.