1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak on 2.4 V6??

Alan V6 Aug 21, 2010

1. Alan V6

Alan V6 New Member

Hi guys,

When i bought my car it had an oil and filter change in March. I checked the oil level not long after i bought it in June and it was nearly empty!! I thought WTF :faint:

So off i went to buy some fully synthetic blood for her. Now a last week i checked the level again and it was near he minimum AGAIN! I thought this can't be right so got it on some small ramps and low and behold the entire lower part of the engine block is black and covered in oil...it's everywhere!! Even all over the ARB:think:

I took all the engine covers off and tried to see if it was the rocker covers but no sign there! There are about 4 drips on the sump now so it's coming from somwere?! But because of all the old oil in the way i can't see a damn thing :( Maybe this is the reason the car was sold??

Any ideas guys? Expensive?

2. Alan V6

Alan V6 New Member

Oh sorry it's a 1998

3. Audidave

Audidave Member

my 2.8 v6 was leaking from the cam oil seals on the back of the engine, took off rocker cover's and rear cam mounts to get at seals not to bad a job, also used a very small amount of sealent under cam mounts as they were alloy to alloy, now no oil leaks!

4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

How many miles has the car done. My 1996 a4 was leaking like a bp oil well, the bottom half of the engine was covered, so was the subframe & ABR, most of the seals were weeping, and a fair bit was coming around the the oil cooler/filter. I've ended up with an engine out job to replace all the seals & gaskets etc.

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

For starters, check the oil every other time you fill up with petrol. Takes 20seconds to lift the bonnet and pull the dipstick, which when compared with knackering the engine due to no oil is a small task.

As for the oil, its hard to see where things like this come from, but you can try pressurewashing the gunk off, then having a drive to see if you can see new oil seeping out?

It can only really leak from so many places, and if the rocker cover seals are fine, i'm not really sure what else could get the block itself wet...

Unless its just the sump thats wet?

the v6's probably have a two piece affair like the V8, with a steel pan, then a large alloy casting. If its just this part thats wet then its likely just the sump gaskets that need done.

6. Alan V6

Alan V6 New Member

Hi guys :)

It's just on 120K which isn't really that high? The engine feels and runs like new other than this :(

I'll do as you have said and get it cleaned first then try and see were it's coming from!

7. evzee

evzee Member

Hello, did you get this sorted? I've now got a leak on my 2.4 v6. Theres nothing standing out from lifting the bonnet and having a general look and feel around the top half of the engine. I haven't really got underneath it yet. Plan for this weekend is to get that big plastic bottom cover off and try and look up from there. Any other tips anyone?