1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil leak after oil change

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by danger S3, Jan 6, 2011.

1. danger S3

danger S3 Member

:crying: so i did an oil change yesterday and it all went well then after a wee drive i got home and checked under for leaks from the filter to see if i needed to tighten it at all and oh look there is a leak

problem is it doesn't look like its coming from the filter. it runs from vertically in-line with the filter but looks like it starts from where the sump joins the block or just above it, im hoping its not the sump seal as that's a pain in the bottom

it runs where the red marks go in this pic, any ideas what it could be?

[​IMG]
  2. dany2k

dany2k Member

its gonna be difficult to tell untill you give it a clean and drive it around: the oil couldve been splash-back from a spil... i know this from experience when i gave my car to a local garage to change the oil, only for the monkey not to change the washer for the drain. took me a couple of days to work it out. never again!
  3. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

Drive the car around a little and see how you get on - when I had my last service I all of a sudden had the dreaded oil marks on the driveway but it appears to have been nothing more than a bit of spilt oil somewhere which took it's time to drip off.
  4. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member

did you wipe the oil off the block after you changed the filter?
  5. danger S3

danger S3 Member

cheers for the responses guys

after some driving around it looks like it was just a pool of oil on the block below the oil filter. I thought I had put enough rags up there to soak it all up but obviously not

im very relieved tbh, i was worrying it was the sump leaking and i wasn't planning on dropping that till the summer to change the oil pump

after i realised it wasn't leaking it snowed and i went and had loads of fun :laugh:
  6. 3hZ

3hZ Audi's make the world go round

It's funny you should say that, I did an engine flush, changed oil pump/Filter/Oil, and low and behold noticed an oil leak :banghead: wiped the sump and surrounding area. No leak (big sigh of relief) :)

That was Thursday just gone 6th Jan.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011