1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil issue

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Grae W, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Grae W

Grae W New Member

I've had my 2001 A3 1.8T (AUM) for a week now. I changed the oil yesterday, and put in 4.5 litres of Quantum 5w40. However, I couldn't budge the existing oil filter so I left it in place.

After driving a few miles, the Engine Management light came on. Is it possible I've put too much oil in? Would this trigger the EML? VCDS doesn't show anything new. It still drives perfectly, just a bit concerned about this EML...
  2. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Simple thing to do would be to check the dipstick, that would tell you if there's too much oil or not. If it's fine then reset the eml and see if it comes back.
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

What do you mean VCDS doesn't show anything new? you have uncleared codes already? what codes is VCDS reporting as the CEL won't come on without a code of some description

<tuffty/>
  4. phil miller

phil miller Member

the engine holds 4.5 lts with a new filter, the filter holds circ 300ml of oil, i would say you have almost 1/2 lt to much in your engine, to much throw a code, could do, but as Tufty has said what codes have you got and what were there before?