1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil in Coolant Header Tank....??

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by Hulmie, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hulmie

Hulmie New Member

[Apr 16, 2014]
    Had car for over a year now (2008 170TDI S-line SE). The cars had new oil/coolant pump supplied by the Honda Dealer when i bought it, as apparently it was bypass before that, the system was flushed 2-3 times when when i took it back and the Honda Dealer said it'll be any remaining oil within the system....??Just had it MOT'd and serviced a year on and the oil is still mixing in the coolant tank, had it flushed out again yesterday to see if it continues. The car seam to run fine, could there be an underlining issue with this, the chap who'd just serviced it said it could be a possible cracked head if the coolant doesn't clear (££££££). Does anyone have or had similair issues.Like to know what other people on think if its a cracked head is it worth hanging on to the car and forking out some cash or could it be time to move it on?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Active Member VCDS Map User

[Apr 16, 2014]
    Knackered oil cooler would be most likely
  4. lynallbel

lynallbel Active Member

[Apr 16, 2014]
    Could be oil cooler, but the old oil never truly goes away, there are various tricks, dishwasher tablet, washing machine soap or ctfr, drain system down fill with plain water add your choice of medicine, go for a run allow to cool, drain repeat until happy its all clear.
  5. Darren198712

Darren198712 Member

[Apr 16, 2014]
    Are you loosing oil? Or is there just mayo in the header bottle?
  6. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

[Apr 16, 2014]

Agreed, my money is on a failed oil cooler.
  7. Hulmie

Hulmie New Member

[Apr 16, 2014]
    thanks peeps, no oil loss and no mayo in header tank. The garage (VAG technik, Eccles) have been doing the dish tablet trick, so going back end of next week to have another flush. i'll mention the oil cooler see what they think!
  8. Paul B7

Paul B7 Active Member

[Apr 17, 2014]

When my Oil Cooler failed there was no loss of water. The contents of the expansion bottle changed colour (as the oil was mixing with the coolant ) and turned brown. When the cap was off the expansion bottle you could smell the oil and the coolant had been replaced with an oil /water mix that was very viscous.
    Hope this helps ...........
  9. Hulmie

Hulmie New Member

[Apr 26, 2014]
    slight good news had a second flush, and there signs of progress, fingers crossed. coolant/oil mix is looking not as dark which is good. Only thing is the hoses have absorbed the oil an look ****, anyone know where i could get some replacement hose kit????